Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java versions, acronyms and names

Java versions, acronyms and names

rob@codebox

I've been confused for a while now about the names, acronyms and
version numbers that Sun chose for the various releases of Java, there
seems to be little consistency about how things change from one release
to the next. Anyway, I've done a little research and attempted to
summarise things - maybe someone will find this useful:

http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?...e.JavaVersions

comments welcome, tell me if you find a mistake!

rob@codebox

Lew

rob@codebox wrote:
> I've been confused for a while now about the names, acronyms and
> version numbers that Sun chose for the various releases of Java, there
> seems to be little consistency about how things change from one release
> to the next. Anyway, I've done a little research and attempted to
> summarise things - maybe someone will find this useful:
>
> http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?...e.JavaVersions

Or you could read up on what Sun has to say on the topic:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/namechange.html>

- Lew

rob@codebox

Lew wrote:

> Or you could read up on what Sun has to say on the topic:
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/namechange.html>
>
> - Lew

that page gives you the latest instalment in the saga, but the full
history is far more terrible

acronyms ??!! sakcee@gmail.com Java 2 01-19-2007 10:25 PM
Acronyms? Andrew MCSE 6 09-06-2006 02:53 PM
Acronyms 2003 70-290 Track Marlin Munrow MCSE 0 02-22-2004 03:30 PM
RFC's and acronyms G. Orme MCSE 8 01-19-2004 04:51 PM
Newgroup acronyms Gadget Computer Support 4 11-08-2003 12:10 PM

Advertisments