Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Where to find the Java source files?

Reply
Thread Tools

Where to find the Java source files?

 
 
Shawn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007
Hi,

I remember Java source files are installed somewhere and I can take a
look at them. For example, right now I hope to look at JFrame's file,
JFrame.java. I forgot where to it is installed. Could you give me a hint?

Thank you.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Oliver Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007

"Shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:enh5e8$4jb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I remember Java source files are installed somewhere and I can take a look
> at them. For example, right now I hope to look at JFrame's file,
> JFrame.java. I forgot where to it is installed. Could you give me a hint?


Hint: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\src.zip

- Oliver


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Ersatznom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
Oliver Wong wrote:
> "Shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:enh5e8$4jb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I remember Java source files are installed somewhere and I can take a look
>>at them. For example, right now I hope to look at JFrame's file,
>>JFrame.java. I forgot where to it is installed. Could you give me a hint?

>
>
> Hint: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\src.zip


I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type

JFrame foo;

somewhere random in an editor, double click "JFrame", and right click
and select "Open Declaration". Presto: Sun's source code for JFrame. It
can be configured not just for rt.jar but third-party libraries as well.
You can also configure the WWW location of their API docs and your own
generated documentation will link to the API docs, as well as
shift-F2(?) letting you send the Web browser of your choice to the
online docs for any given identifier, say ListIterator.

(You can also point the docs at locally-installed copies and browse them
likewise, but it won't generate links to them in generated
documentation. The documentation you generated would have File: URLs
that wouldn't work when you published the documentation. Point at the
online copy of library docs, though, and your generated documentation
links to the official library docs at the library's official website.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tris Orendorff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2007
John Ersatznom <(E-Mail Removed)> burped up warm pablum in
news:enitms$jgh$(E-Mail Removed):

> I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
> IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type


God god man! Have you taken leave of your senses? Never, never admit to
using an IDE instead of the command line in this group. You are likely to
be tarred and feathered or worse: denounced to the authorities.


--
Tris Orendorff
[Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
A: A purple Hayes.]


 
Reply With Quote
 
Luc The Perverse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2007
"Tris Orendorff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98AF94B6E2B66RepublicPicturesLtd@216.221.8 1.119...
> John Ersatznom <(E-Mail Removed)> burped up warm pablum in
> news:enitms$jgh$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
>> IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type

>
> God god man! Have you taken leave of your senses? Never, never admit to
> using an IDE instead of the command line in this group. You are likely to
> be tarred and feathered or worse: denounced to the authorities.


LOL

I do not believe people here are opposed to an IDE in general - the problem
comes with people wanting to use an IDE as an excuse to not learn how to use
the command line.

--
LTP




 
Reply With Quote
 
John Ersatznom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
Luc The Perverse wrote:
> "Tris Orendorff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns98AF94B6E2B66RepublicPicturesLtd@216.221.8 1.119...
>
>>John Ersatznom <(E-Mail Removed)> burped up warm pablum in
>>news:enitms$jgh$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>
>>>I love my IDE. Instead of my having to remember this kind of crap, the
>>>IDE remembers it for me and all I have to do is type

>>
>>God god man! Have you taken leave of your senses? Never, never admit to
>>using an IDE instead of the command line in this group. You are likely to
>>be tarred and feathered or worse: denounced to the authorities.

>
> LOL
>
> I do not believe people here are opposed to an IDE in general - the problem
> comes with people wanting to use an IDE as an excuse to not learn how to use
> the command line.


Commandlines are overrated anywho. They're like fumbling around in the
dark with a flashlight, when you could just turn on a light. The only
area where they are better than other interfaces is when they're
scripted or used to dump a whole bunch of information as text or
something -- in other words, when it's a *computer* using them. That,
and as the last-resort user interface to an otherwise-failed system
(fancy graphics modes notworky, or headless system needs to be
remote-administered manually rather than through a nice client for some
reason). What do graphical interfaces do poorly at after all? Single
user actions? No. It's things like renaming a whole bunch of files in a
pattern and such. Even moving big piles of files is GUI-friendly.
Basically, if it isn't easily done in a modern GUI it needs to be
scripted or otherwise automated.
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2007
John Ersatznom wrote:
> Luc The Perverse wrote:
>> I do not believe people here are opposed to an IDE in general - the
>> problem comes with people wanting to use an IDE as an excuse to not
>> learn how to use the command line.

>
> Commandlines are overrated anywho. They're like fumbling around in the
> dark with a flashlight, when you could just turn on a light. The only
> area where they are better than other interfaces is when they're
> scripted or used to dump a whole bunch of information as text or
> something -- in other words, when it's a *computer* using them. That,
> and as the last-resort user interface to an otherwise-failed system
> (fancy graphics modes notworky, or headless system needs to be
> remote-administered manually rather than through a nice client for some
> reason). What do graphical interfaces do poorly at after all? Single
> user actions? No. It's things like renaming a whole bunch of files in a
> pattern and such. Even moving big piles of files is GUI-friendly.
> Basically, if it isn't easily done in a modern GUI it needs to be
> scripted or otherwise automated.


You completely missed the point.

It was not a whether to use command line or GUI post.

The point was that people who could use the command line
would have an understanding of what the IDE does for them
that makes them capable of solving problems that arise when
they use the IDE.

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Ersatznom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2007
Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> You completely missed the point.


You completely missed your Friday 3:00 class, "Diplomacy 101". Please do
get your attendance up; midterms are in February you know, little more
than a month from now.

> The point was that people who could use the command line
> would have an understanding of what the IDE does for them
> that makes them capable of solving problems that arise when
> they use the IDE.


To wit, the IDE basically lets them turn on the room lights instead of
poking around in the dark with a flashlight. As for problems arising
with an IDE, this may need you need to: complain/submit a bug report;
work around the problem; get a different IDE; or figure out the workings
of the IDE and other tools (but not some archaic shell) and fix them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 3 02-14-2011 05:28 AM
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 0 02-10-2011 05:18 PM
Find.find does not find orphaned links? Wybo Dekker Ruby 1 11-15-2005 02:50 PM
Find Java Examples in Open Source Code pete Java 0 04-06-2005 03:41 PM
Can not find source code for tutorial examples for Java Web Services Developer Pack 1.4 ... c guan Java 0 08-04-2004 06:55 AM



Advertisments