Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Problem with Java Applets in Firefox

Problem with Java Applets in Firefox

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> John Ersatznom wrote:

(big trim)
> >..I wouldn't like to see the currently fairly clean separation
> > between "Java that might trash my stuff like any other untrusted
> > executable" and "Java that's safe" on the Web get blurred or confused
> > any further than it already is...

(shrugs) I wish it were clearer/cleaner - for users and
developers alike.

...but just thought I should point out, that the text I
posted after that, bore almost no relation to a response
to the text quoted above... (silly me)

> I could link to examples that demonstrate a number
> of features of web-start, but in the meantime..
> Please read the web-start docs.
>
> Now.. why did you trim the part where I
> commented that the greatest barrier to more
> web-start launched projects was ignorance on
> the part of developers?

Andrew T.

John Ersatznom

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> - none - sandoxed (though it is still possible to use the JNLP
> API to provide supervised* access to the file system, and
> other resources)
> - j2ee-application-client(?) a poorly named security level
> that allows some things, but restricts others.
> - all-permissions - full access.
>
> The two latter privilege levels are only obtained by
> signing the jars, and *requesting* extended permissions
> from the end user

Oh, goody. It sounded like there was now a way a site could deploy an
"applet" with automatic, full privileges without user notification,
which would be a big problem (even if they could use JWS to deploy one
with a sandbox too, since sooner or later someone wouldn't).

So nothing obtained from JWS can act "like an app, not an applet" until
specifically authorized by the user then?

John Ersatznom

Mickey Segal wrote:
> "Mickey Segal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Clearly there is something different between our configurations, but the
>>difference is not apparent.
>>
>>Could others test right clicks in the applet at www.segal.org/java/config/
>>and report what they see?

> A post on mozilla.support.firefox suggests the answer is a setting:
> Tools > Options > Content > JavaScript Advanced Settings
> Allow scripts to:
> [ ] Disable or replace context menus
>
> We are awaiting word from the original poster as to whether this was the
> problem. The original poster has already confirmed that using another
> profile he did not have the problem.

Lovely. And we Java programmers still wonder why people continue to
confuse Java and Javash^Hcript.

Rene Grothmann

> [x] Disable or replace context menus

solves the problem.

Somewhat strange, however, since Javascript IS NOT Java, but anyway.
Thanks a lot.

Oliver Wong

"John Ersatznom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emegls$5l2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> So nothing obtained from JWS can act "like an app, not an applet" until
> specifically authorized by the user then?

Correct, barring bugs in the implementation.

- Oliver

Rene Grothmann

As much as I know, Java Web Start is mostly like an applet nowadays,
besides the fact, that it is not using space on the web page. Both can
used signed jars. The user will be asked in both cases to trust or not
trust the signature. In case, he trusts, the applet or web start
application can access the local computer and make internet
connections. Otherwise, only internet connections to the calling server
are allowed. Another difference is that the external program javaws
caches the applet archive, not the browser. Java Web Start can also
create icons, and it is a very nice way to deliver applocations and
keep them up to date, as intended by Sun's thin client philosophy.

John Ersatznom

Rene Grothmann wrote:
> As much as I know, Java Web Start is mostly like an applet nowadays,
> besides the fact, that it is not using space on the web page. Both can
> used signed jars. The user will be asked in both cases to trust or not
> trust the signature. In case, he trusts, the applet or web start
> application can access the local computer and make internet
> connections. Otherwise, only internet connections to the calling server
> are allowed. Another difference is that the external program javaws
> caches the applet archive, not the browser. Java Web Start can also
> create icons, and it is a very nice way to deliver applocations and
> keep them up to date, as intended by Sun's thin client philosophy.

Thin client philosophy, encapsulated:

User .oO "Ha! No matter where I am I can access my data on the go!"
Big corp .oO "Ha! All their data are belong to us! We can hold it
hostage and shake them down anytime our stock is performing poorly!"

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

John Ersatznom <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Thin client philosophy, encapsulated:
>
> User .oO "Ha! No matter where I am I can access my data on the go!"
> Big corp .oO "Ha! All their data are belong to us! We can hold it
> hostage and shake them down anytime our stock is performing poorly!"

Hehe. Yes, that's the reason Microsoft Passport largely failed.
"Hello, dear Oracle, would you like us to hold your customers' data
for you? I assure you we would not want to abuse the information about
license purchases to try and sell SQL Server licenses with an
advantage."