Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > All types of Programming related issues.

Reply
Thread Tools

All types of Programming related issues.

 
 
john
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2006
http://www.coderbuzz.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel Pitts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2006
john wrote:
> http://www.coderbuzz.com


That site sucks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Christopher Benson-Manica
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2006
Daniel Pitts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> john wrote:
> > http://www.spammed-url.removed


> That site sucks.


Then why did you give the spammer the free publicity it wanted?

--
C. Benson Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
cbmanica(at)gmail.com | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Ersatznom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2006
Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
> Daniel Pitts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>john wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.spammed-url.removed

>
>
>>That site sucks.

>
>
> Then why did you give the spammer the free publicity it wanted?


He didn't give "it" any more than "it" got "it"self with the initial
post, unless he broadened the newsgroup list. As far as I can tell, if
anything he narrowed it to just cljp.

Also, if every posting of a URL, even when it's seemingly (at least
tangentially) on topic, constitutes spamming, then an awful lot of the
regulars in this group are spammers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christopher Benson-Manica
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2006
John Ersatznom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> He didn't give "it" any more than "it" got "it"self with the initial
> post, unless he broadened the newsgroup list. As far as I can tell, if
> anything he narrowed it to just cljp.


Every additional mention of a spammed URL increases the likelihood
that it will be seen and visited. (Or perhaps I am merely being too
comp.lang.c about the situation...)

> Also, if every posting of a URL, even when it's seemingly (at least
> tangentially) on topic, constitutes spamming, then an awful lot of the
> regulars in this group are spammers.


Posting URLs might be acceptable when they are accompanied by some
on-topic introductory text, say "There is some good information here
about Java". As it stands, the original post looks like some generic,
throwaway post to drive traffic to yet another wannabe Official Source
For Everything.

--
C. Benson Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
cbmanica(at)gmail.com | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Ersatznom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2006
Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
> Every additional mention of a spammed URL increases the likelihood
> that it will be seen and visited. (Or perhaps I am merely being too
> comp.lang.c about the situation...)


If the mentions are in independent locations, that's true. But the
likelihood is changed the *least* in the precise situation that
occurred, where one occurrence is in the parent of the other occurrence
and in the exact same groups. They tend to be either both seen, or
neither seen, by any given person in that case.

> Posting URLs might be acceptable when they are accompanied by some
> on-topic introductory text, say "There is some good information here
> about Java". As it stands, the original post looks like some generic,
> throwaway post to drive traffic to yet another wannabe Official Source
> For Everything.


It's a pretty iffy call in this case. The post that started this thread
was, you must admit, a far cry from things like someone writing "#3rb4l
V1Agr4!!! Get it while it's hot!" (continuing with several links to
dubious www.foo.ru servers, or even blind IP addresses) and massively
x-posting it to every group in the world *except* alt.pharmaceuticals ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Oliver Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2006
"John Ersatznom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emd3fs$u4b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Also, if every posting of a URL, even when it's seemingly (at least
> tangentially) on topic, constitutes spamming, then an awful lot of the
> regulars in this group are spammers.


FWIW, my definition of a newsgroup spammer (and I don't necessarily
expect anyone else to share this definition) is someone who makes a post
with no intent to read the replies.

- Oliver


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Ersatznom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Oliver Wong wrote:
> "John Ersatznom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:emd3fs$u4b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Also, if every posting of a URL, even when it's seemingly (at least
>>tangentially) on topic, constitutes spamming, then an awful lot of the
>>regulars in this group are spammers.

>
>
> FWIW, my definition of a newsgroup spammer (and I don't necessarily
> expect anyone else to share this definition) is someone who makes a post
> with no intent to read the replies.


That definition makes everyone who's ever posted "PLONK!" anywhere on
Usenet into a spammer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Oliver Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
"John Ersatznom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emgb78$j2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oliver Wong wrote:
>> "John Ersatznom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:emd3fs$u4b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Also, if every posting of a URL, even when it's seemingly (at least
>>>tangentially) on topic, constitutes spamming, then an awful lot of the
>>>regulars in this group are spammers.

>>
>>
>> FWIW, my definition of a newsgroup spammer (and I don't necessarily
>> expect anyone else to share this definition) is someone who makes a post
>> with no intent to read the replies.

>
> That definition makes everyone who's ever posted "PLONK!" anywhere on
> Usenet into a spammer.


No, they may still be willing to read replies to that "PLONK" post (as
long as it's not from the person who got plonked).

- Oliver


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Ersatznom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
Oliver Wong wrote:
> No, they may still be willing to read replies to that "PLONK" post (as
> long as it's not from the person who got plonked).


Who replies to a plonk post, though? Except, occasionally and
pointlessly, the person who got plonked. (Maybe seeking to have the last
word?)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100% Passing Guaranteed in All I.T. Exams/Certifications at 1stAttempt Hi Friends, To pass all types of I.T Exams/Certifications with mind FreeExamKing MCDST 0 06-15-2010 06:40 AM
100% Passing Guaranteed in All I.T. Exams/Certifications at 1stAttempt Hi Friends, To pass all types of I.T Exams/Certifications with mind freeexamking MCAD 0 06-15-2010 06:39 AM
All programming related issues and you can submit ur own article also. john Java 2 12-30-2006 02:06 AM
How should multiple (related) projects be arranged (structured) and configured so that they can share code, have a related package structure and enable proper unittesting, and ensuring no namespace collisions ToddLMorgan@gmail.com Python 14 04-21-2006 04:03 PM
How should threads be terminated? (related to 'Help with thread related tracebacks') Maxwell Hammer Python 7 06-18-2005 04:20 PM



Advertisments