Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > displaytag column : how to specify a different target?

displaytag column : how to specify a different target?

helene.bh

Hello,

I need to put a link in a displaytag column but I want to specify a
different target and I need to keep the current sessionId in this link.
Does anyone know how to do it ?

Thanks !

Andrew Thompson

helene.bh wrote:
> I need to put a link in a displaytag column but I want to specify a
> different target ...

Are you referring to an HTML target?
An URL that pops up in a new window, or within a
particular frame? If so, note that targets have been
deprecated in HTML 4, for good reason.

If that is the case, and this is an internet based
web-app. (as opposed to a site served across an
intranet/WAN to a group of machines that can be
controlled), I will warn that the use of targets will
lead to a much higher maintenance cost (or 'lost
sales', which is far worse).

I strongly recommend the app. be redesigned
to *not* require a target, and instead follow the
linear flow for which web-pages were originally
designed.

Andrew T.

helene.bh

I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
my company's application, and we can't afford redesigning it. So I have
to deal with it

Andrew Thompson

helene.bh wrote:
> I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
> my company's application,

Yes, but is this frames based web-application for
internal company PC's (controlled by the company)
or internet - on PC's available to the general public?
I am still not clear on that.

Andrew T.

helene.bh

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> helene.bh wrote:
> > I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
> > my company's application,

> Yes, but is this frames based web-application for
> internal company PC's (controlled by the company)
> or internet - on PC's available to the general public?
> I am still not clear on that.
>
> Andrew T.

This is on PC's available to the general public.

Andrew Thompson

helene.bh wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > helene.bh wrote:
> > > I am not a big fan of using frames but I don't have a choice, this is
> > > my company's application,

> > Yes, but is this frames based web-application for
> > internal company PC's (controlled by the company)
> > or internet - on PC's available to the general public?
> > I am still not clear on that.

> This is on PC's available to the general public.

Thanks for confirming. I trimmed everything else
you put because I wanted an answer to that simple
question.

Now, coming back to something you said, that
inspired me to *ask* that question.

> .., this is my company's application, and we
> can't afford redesigning it.

Can they afford to lose the business?
Do they even have any idea just how much business
they *are* losing?

Note that if the 'contact' page is also 'target'ed page,
those people for whom targetted links or frames, or
a browser that will not pass sessiond ID's between
frames.., will also not be able to report a problem with
the site, and they will simply buy from your competitors.

I suspect your employers have their heads 'stuck
in the sand', and unless you can awaken them to
the actual business *cost* of attempting to deliver
a frames based web-app., you might soon be looking
for a new job (with some employer that has *not*
gone into liquidation).

Andrew T.

helene.bh

I'm sorry but I did not ask for an opinion about my company but "how to
specify a different target in a displaytag url". If there is no
solution, fine I'll find another way to do it.
But really, don't loose your time by spiting on others, and mind your
own business.

Thank you though for trying to help me at first.

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> helene.bh wrote:
> > Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, but is this frames based web-application for
> > > internal company PC's (controlled by the company)
> > > or internet - on PC's available to the general public?
> > > I am still not clear on that.

> ..
> > This is on PC's available to the general public.

> Thanks for confirming. I trimmed everything else
> you put because I wanted an answer to that simple
> question.
>
> Now, coming back to something you said, that
> inspired me to *ask* that question.
>
> > .., this is my company's application, and we
> > can't afford redesigning it.

> Can they afford to lose the business?
> Do they even have any idea just how much business
> they *are* losing?
>
> Note that if the 'contact' page is also 'target'ed page,
> those people for whom targetted links or frames, or
> a browser that will not pass sessiond ID's between
> frames.., will also not be able to report a problem with
> the site, and they will simply buy from your competitors.
>
> I suspect your employers have their heads 'stuck
> in the sand', and unless you can awaken them to
> the actual business *cost* of attempting to deliver
> a frames based web-app., you might soon be looking
> for a new job (with some employer that has *not*
> gone into liquidation).
>
> Andrew T.

Lew

Please don't top post.

helene.bh wrote:
> I'm sorry but I did not ask for an opinion about my company but "how to
> specify a different target in a displaytag url". If there is no
> solution, fine I'll find another way to do it.
> But really, don't loose your time by spiting on others, and mind your
> own business.

Now, now, Helene. Mr. Thompson was making a valid point - that management may
well be ignoring or unaware (meaning of the idiom "heads stuck in the sand')
of the true costs of their decision. This seems like a grounded assessment
based on the information you provided.

Instead of getting your dander up, perhaps you should become an advocate for
lower-cost and higher-quality architectures at your firm. One could even argue
that it is your fiduciary responsibility to do so, and not "hide your head in
the sand" about sub-optimal decisions.

- Lew