Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Display the content of .Doc file using JSP in html page

Display the content of .Doc file using JSP in html page

Rahul

Hello All

I want to open an MS word file in jsp page, and want to display the
content on web page as html. The code I'm using is as follows :

<%
String fileName = "c:\\rahul\\test\\readingfile\\abc.doc";

BufferedReader is = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(fileName));

String fileData = "";

while((fileData = is.readLine()) != null)
{
out.println(fileData);
}
%>

But, the data is not printing in proper format.

Please provide the solution.
Rhanking you

Rahul

Gordon Beaton

On 19 Dec 2006 02:05:11 -0800, Rahul wrote:
> I want to open an MS word file in jsp page, and want to display the
> content on web page as html. The code I'm using is as follows :

[...]

> But, the data is not printing in proper format.

You have written code to read a plain text file, not a Word document.

You need a library that understands the Word document format, for
example this one:

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/index.html

/gordon

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

Rahul wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I want to open an MS word file in jsp page, and want to display the
> content on web page as html. The code I'm using is as follows :
> But, the data is not printing in proper format.
> Please provide the solution.

ROTFL!

As you have already noticed, a Word/DOC-document is not a plain-text
document. It is a binary format with many control- and formatting
information. Unfortunately, it cannot easily be transformed to HTML!

In short: There is no solution we can provide!

A bit longer: Of course, there may be some good Java-Converters from DOC
to HTML (although I do not know any (means: "any *good* one")). But I am
sure there is no solution in 5 lines of code.

You may take a look at the Apache FOP project, which deals ("tries to
deal") with MS-Office formats, although I am not sure in how far you can
read documents with it.

But, again (in short): There is no solution (in general, for non-trivial
documents).

Ciao,
Ingo

Andrew Thompson

Rahul wrote:
> Hello All

Hello again. Please refrain from reposting topics,
just because the first answer/s were not to your liking.

If a thread starts badly, it is usually better to take it up
back on the original thread.

Andrew T.

Alfred

Rahul wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I want to open an MS word file in jsp page, and want to display the
> content on web page as html. The code I'm using is as follows :
>
> <%
> String fileName = "c:\\rahul\\test\\readingfile\\abc.doc";
> BufferedReader is = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(fileName));
> String fileData = "";
> while((fileData = is.readLine()) != null)
> {
> out.println(fileData);
> }
> %>
>
> But, the data is not printing in proper format.

Click on your brain, load a Word document with Notepad
and look what happens.

Alfred