Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Checking web pages written in Javascript

Re: Checking web pages written in Javascript

Joe Colella

"Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_9Jhh.1093$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Joe Colella wrote:
>
>> I would like to check a web page for updates that is written
>> in JavaScript and requires me to log on with a username and
>> password, then email me a snapshot of the web page or a
>> copy of the web page.
>>
>> Is there any software out there will let me do this?

> Get with Watir; it will drive any website, nearly any way you like, using
> IE in Automation mode. To get a snapshot, you could copy out the browser's
> version of the HTML (essentially a dump of the DOM's objects' states), or
> you can rig a screen capture program to record the actual surface of IE.
>
> I have done this several times, in several ways, so feel free to ask about
> the process, here or on the Watir mailing list. The runner-up is Selenium,
> but I haven't used that yet.
>
> --
> Phlip
> http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!

Phlip,

Joe

gfr92y@yahoo.com

Joe Colella wrote:
> "Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_9Jhh.1093$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Joe Colella wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to check a web page for updates that is written
> >> in JavaScript and requires me to log on with a username and
> >> password, then email me a snapshot of the web page or a
> >> copy of the web page.
> >>
> >> Is there any software out there will let me do this?

> > Get with Watir; it will drive any website, nearly any way you like, using
> > IE in Automation mode. To get a snapshot, you could copy out the browser's
> > version of the HTML (essentially a dump of the DOM's objects' states), or
> > you can rig a screen capture program to record the actual surface of IE.
> >
> > I have done this several times, in several ways, so feel free to ask about
> > the process, here or on the Watir mailing list. The runner-up is Selenium,
> > but I haven't used that yet.
> >
> > --
> > Phlip
> > http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!
> >

> Phlip,
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance.
>
> Joe

Phlip,

Wow... That's way complicated!!!

Joe

alex_f_il@hotmail.com

Using SWEA it could be only a few lines of code:

explorerManager.Connect();
explorerManager.LoadProject("Test.htp");
explorerManager.Navigate("http://www.google.com/");
scene = explorerManager["Scene_0"];
scene.WaitForActive(30000);
scene.HtmlInputText("q").Value = "c#";
scene.HtmlInputButton("btnG").Click();
scene = explorerManager["Scene_1"];
scene.WaitForActive(30000);
Image img =
explorerManager.GetExplorerWindowImage(scene.Runti meSceneInfo.HWND);
img.Save("test.jpg", ImageFormat.Jpeg);

> Joe Colella wrote:
> > "Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:_9Jhh.1093$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> > > Get with Watir; it will drive any website, nearly any way you like, using
> > > IE in Automation mode. To get a snapshot, you could copy out the browser's
> > > version of the HTML (essentially a dump of the DOM's objects' states), or
> > > you can rig a screen capture program to record the actual surface of IE.
> > >
> > > I have done this several times, in several ways, so feel free to ask about
> > > the process, here or on the Watir mailing list. The runner-up is Selenium,
> > > but I haven't used that yet.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Phlip
> > > http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!
> > >

> > Phlip,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your assistance.
> >
> > Joe

> Phlip,
>
> Wow... That's way complicated!!!
>
> Joe

Phlip

Joe Colella wrote:

> Wow... That's way complicated!!!

Sorry - you weren't specific about your constraints, so I picked the
system that works on any web site, and collects an exact picture of the
surface of the browser. (Thousands of engineers use Watir to test their
websites; a technique that generally reduces complexity, overall...)

You could also try HttpUnit, but that won't get an exact picture. And
the more control over your website, the simpler your solution can be...

--
Phlip