Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > j2me question, MIDlet app update distribution

j2me question, MIDlet app update distribution

Sid

Hi,

I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.

My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
patch will be ran and update the app

Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

David N. Welton

Sid wrote:

> My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
> 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
> 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
> a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
> patch will be ran and update the app
>
> Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

If you use Hecl, you could do that, by scripting portions of your
application:

http://www.hecl.org

I don't think it's possible with normal j2me though.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Alex Hunsley

Sid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
> haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
> people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
> go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
> those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
> need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.
>
> My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
> 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
> 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
> a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
> patch will be ran and update the app
>
> Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

Nope, not possible I'm afraid. Certain platform specifics may exist to
aid with this, but purely with J2ME: not a hope.
lex

news.isd.dp.ua

Sid пишет:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
> haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
> people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
> go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
> those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
> need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.
>
> My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
> 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
> 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
> a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
> patch will be ran and update the app
>
> Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?

You can use MIDlet.platformRequest. Just point it to link with newer
version of application.

Alex Hunsley

news.isd.dp.ua wrote:
> Sid пишет:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been doing a bit of j2me in the last few weeks. One thing I still
>> haven't figured out is, let say I have an app that is used by many
>> people. Then one day I want to release an update to that app. How do I
>> go about it? At the moment, the only way I can think of is by telling
>> those people that there's a newer version of the app and that they'd
>> need to remove their existing app, and install the newer app.
>>
>> My question is: is it possible to distribute the update this way:
>> 1. Tell users that there's a newer version of the app.
>> 2. Users can then just go to their existing app, select 'update', then
>> a patch is downloaded from a central server (a web server), then the
>> patch will be ran and update the app
>>
>> Anyone know if this is possible with j2me?
>>

> You can use MIDlet.platformRequest. Just point it to link with newer
> version of application.

This will only work for MIDP2 phones btw... platformRequest isn't
supported in MIDP1.

Sid

Thank you, I think this could be what I was looking for!