Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > SSL/Socket

SSL/Socket

Dud Hershey

I wrote a simple java program that uses SSL sockets to connect to a site and
check the certificate, convert it to X509 and check some properties out of
it such as expiration date etc. This works fine.

Now the problem is that I cannot create sockets from inside a company
intranet to places in the Internet that I want to possibly check the
certificate. Is there a way to implement HTTPS protocol that could use
proxies to do the same thing or combine it with socket somehow?

These network layers are really in a gray area in my brains after so many
years of school, so feel free to correct if I'm mixing things up here

Rogan Dawes

Dud Hershey wrote:
> I wrote a simple java program that uses SSL sockets to connect to a site and
> check the certificate, convert it to X509 and check some properties out of
> it such as expiration date etc. This works fine.
>
> Now the problem is that I cannot create sockets from inside a company
> intranet to places in the Internet that I want to possibly check the
> certificate. Is there a way to implement HTTPS protocol that could use
> proxies to do the same thing or combine it with socket somehow?
>
> These network layers are really in a gray area in my brains after so many
> years of school, so feel free to correct if I'm mixing things up here

In Java 1.5 and later, use the java.net.Proxy class, and the
java.net.Socket constructor that takes a Proxy parameter.

For earlier JRE's, you need to implement this yourself, check out the
HTTP CONNECT method.

Rogan