Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > help

Daniel Pitts

Hatter wrote:
> default access in class,
> I declare a class like:
> class ClassA
> {
> int getValue()
> {
> return 0;
> }
> }
>
> then what is the type of method:getValue?
> public?protected?or private?
>
> I use ClassA.class.GetMethods() to get the method list of class ClassA,
> but getValue was not in the list.
> Can anyone tell me why??

Specifically, ClassA.class.getDeclaredMethods() should return the
method, because it returns all methods declared by that class, public
or otherwise,

trippy

In article <19Bfh.57654$(E-Mail Removed)>, Knute Johnson took the
hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > trippy wrote:
> >> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/s...ames.doc.html#
> >> 104285

> > To protect long URL's from line-wrap,
> > enclose them in '<', '>'. E.G.
> > <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/names.doc.html#104285>
> >
> > Andrew T.
> >

> That's a neat trick that I didn't know!

Me either. Thanks Andrew.

--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

NP: "The American Way" -- Sacred Reich

"Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
and a smile."

-- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

John W. Kennedy

trippy wrote:
> In article <19Bfh.57654$(E-Mail Removed)>, Knute Johnson took the
> hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...
>
>> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>>> To protect long URL's from line-wrap,
>>> enclose them in '<', '>'. E.G.
>>> <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/names.doc.html#104285>
>>>
>>> Andrew T.
>>>

>> That's a neat trick that I didn't know!
>>

> Me either. Thanks Andrew.

It is can be better to use
<URL:http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/names.doc.html#104285>,
which was once part of the official URL standard. It was deleted from
the standard for lack of use, but is still supported in some software.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

Andrew Thompson

John W. Kennedy wrote:
> It is can be better to use
> <URL:http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/names.doc.html#104285>,
> which was once part of the official URL standard. ..

Aaah yes, I knew there was a still better form of
URL representation, but had forgotten what it was,
so decided it better not to comment.

> ...It was deleted from
> the standard for lack of use, but is still supported in some software.

I am not sure if this has been asked/answered before,
but do you know of any software that would recognise
the full form, but *not* the more abbreviated form I first
listed?
(The short form is an entire 4 *chars.* shorter, after all!)

Oh, and as a side comment. If *you* have control over the URL,
a 'short, stable URL' lacking in characters such as '-', '_', '.', ' ',
'CAPITALS' or other extraneous/confusing characters, is way
better than any scheme to try and protect them from wrap,
after the effect..

A 'good' URL - beats any/all efforts to fix a 'bad' one.

Andrew T.

Daniel Pitts

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> John W. Kennedy wrote:
> > It is can be better to use
> > <URL:http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/names.doc.html#104285>,
> > which was once part of the official URL standard. ..

> Aaah yes, I knew there was a still better form of
> URL representation, but had forgotten what it was,
> so decided it better not to comment.
>
> > ...It was deleted from
> > the standard for lack of use, but is still supported in some software.

> I am not sure if this has been asked/answered before,
> but do you know of any software that would recognise
> the full form, but *not* the more abbreviated form I first
> listed?
> (The short form is an entire 4 *chars.* shorter, after all!)
>
> Oh, and as a side comment. If *you* have control over the URL,
> a 'short, stable URL' lacking in characters such as '-', '_', '.', ' ',
> 'CAPITALS' or other extraneous/confusing characters, is way
> better than any scheme to try and protect them from wrap,
> after the effect..
>
> A 'good' URL - beats any/all efforts to fix a 'bad' one.
>
> Andrew T.

URLs that bother me:
If it ends with an extension that specifies the generating technology,
not the response type:
* http://someplace.com/showForm.jsp -- should probably be
showForm.html
* http://someplace.com/index.php -- injection attack anyone?
* whatever.asp, whatever.cgi, etc... -- you get the point

If it can become invalid for stupid reasons.
* http://www.mycompany.com/hr/John_Smith/benefits.html -- Well, John
Smith just quit, everyone has to update their bookmarks.

If it doesn't describe the resource.
* http://tinyurl.com/garbage -- don't get me started on tinyurl

If it contains the words geocities, myspace, anglefire, etc...
* Do you REALLY need an example

John W. Kennedy

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> I am not sure if this has been asked/answered before,
> but do you know of any software that would recognise
> the full form, but *not* the more abbreviated form I first
> listed?
> (The short form is an entire 4 *chars.* shorter, after all!)

I've been using <URL:.> for too long to remember, now, but at one point
I know I needed it. I've been using Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox for a very
long time, so it would be somewhere in that chain. But I don't know the
current state of affairs.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres