Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Upgrading Cisco 3750 switch stack with bin file

Upgrading Cisco 3750 switch stack with bin file

sunnymonk74@gmail.com

Hi,

does anyone has any idea to go about upgrading the ios for a 3750
switch stack using binary file? Cisco website has only instructions for
using tar file to upgrade. I have tried the conventional way of copy
the new bin file into both flash1 and flash2 and changing the boot
config to boot with the new image. But when I rebooted the stack, only
the master switch is upgraded and the 2nd was not able to join the
stack as the master detected a version-mismatch.
Reason for using bin file instead of tar file is because I do not need
the CMS in our environment.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

spilkinton@gmail.com

I haven't upgraded using just the bin file - but it should work the
same... You only have to copy the software to switchA (Master). It is
responsible for automatically upgrading the other switches in that
stack.

I think somewhere down the line when trying to manually copy the
software to both switches - something got confused...

fyi - You can use the .tar file and disable the web interface portion
by using 'no ip http-server' in your configuration

-----------------------------
Scott
www.scottp.net
Home of the Network Engineering Podcast

sunnymonk74@gmail.com

Thanks Scott!

Yes, I was expecting the Master Switch to auto upgrade the 2nd switch
after the reboot but it didn't. The tar file includes the CMS which I
feel it is a waste of Flash space if I not going to use it. And also if
I use a tar file, I can't possibly keep both old and new versions since
the flash size is only 16MB.
I believe there should be a way to upgrade it using the binary file
since it is available in the CCO for download.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

adamsr1 adamsr1 is offline
Junior Member

telnet or console into the main 3750 and session into number 2(upgrade) exit then session 3 (upgrade) etc.....
example:
ciscoswitch#session 2
ciscoswitch-2#

does that make sense?