Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Speech recognition library?

Reply
Thread Tools

Speech recognition library?

 
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2006
Hello guys,

Does any one know any nice (and free) English speech recognition
library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
voice and translate that into English words/sentences.

Thanks a lot.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2006
Kevin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does any one know any nice (and free) English speech recognition
> library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
> voice and translate that into English words/sentences.


Google for JSAPI, and look at:

> http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...implementation


That should get you started.

--
Chris Smith
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dale King
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2006
Chris Smith wrote:
> Kevin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does any one know any nice (and free) English speech recognition
>>library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
>>voice and translate that into English words/sentences.

>
> Google for JSAPI, and look at:
>
>>http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...implementation

>
> That should get you started.


Actually it won't. While there are freely available text-to-speech JSAPI
implementations available there are none for speech-to-text.

One of the projects I have been working on in my spare time is to write
a native API to interface to COM to interface with Microsoft's speech
API which is freely available on Windows. This is Windoze specific and
not JSAPI compliant, but is doable. Unfortunately it is still doable and
not done

--
Dale King
 
Reply With Quote
 
dan.a.lewis@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2006
Dale King wrote:
> Chris Smith wrote:
> > Kevin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Does any one know any nice (and free) English speech recognition
> >>library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
> >>voice and translate that into English words/sentences.

> >
> > Google for JSAPI, and look at:
> >
> >>http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...implementation

> >
> > That should get you started.

>
> Actually it won't. While there are freely available text-to-speech JSAPI
> implementations available there are none for speech-to-text.
>
> One of the projects I have been working on in my spare time is to write
> a native API to interface to COM to interface with Microsoft's speech
> API which is freely available on Windows. This is Windoze specific and
> not JSAPI compliant, but is doable. Unfortunately it is still doable and
> not done
>
> --
> Dale King


Dale is right that there is no free as in freedom speech-to-text JSAPI
implementation. But there is a free as in beer option. If you can do
your prototype in a month, Cloud Garden has a 30-day trial of its
implementation of JSAPI available here:
http://www.cloudgarden.com/JSAPI/index.html

The personal license for $16 is a bit restrictive, but it should be ok
if you don't need to distribute your software (e.g., if you're doing
research). It's $420 and up for effective redistribution of their
library to customers.

I just finished doing a speech-recognizing browser for hierarchical
data with this technology, and it was a great aha moment when I got it
talking. This document from Sun was an invaluable help to me:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...ide/index.html

Good luck,
Dan Lewis

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Java Speech Recognition IFlyJava Java 1 03-25-2005 04:34 PM
speech recognition tab missing Eli Aran Computer Support 3 12-19-2004 07:31 PM
Speech recognition system in VHDL? - ideas or resources? David VHDL 2 11-02-2004 02:36 AM
JAVA SPEECH RECOGNITION Pak_indo Java 2 09-26-2004 05:48 AM
Can anyone suggest a good headset/mic for chat and speech recognition for less than $30? Jeff M. Ingram Computer Support 0 01-19-2004 10:52 PM



Advertisments