Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Using Linksys WRT54G as router with DHCP server

Using Linksys WRT54G as router with DHCP server

brewman_63@yahoo.com

Hello, I wonder if someone can tell me if this is possible and if so,
how I can do this?

I have a business network with it own DHCP server and Gateway. I have
connected a Linksys WRT54G access point/router to the network. The IP
addresses in the LAN are 128.28.14.xxx. By default the router has an
internal IP address of 192.168.1.1 and when acting as a DHCP server
hands out IP address starting with 192.168.1.100. I can access outside
the LAN when using it as a gateway. However, when I change it to a
router and give it a static IP address I cannot access anything. What I
would like it to do is hand out IP address in the same subnet
(128.28.14.xxx) as the other machines so I can browse our local
network. Is something like this possible?

Thanks.

Fred Atkinson

On 25 Apr 2005 08:23:56 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello, I wonder if someone can tell me if this is possible and if so,
>how I can do this?
>
>I have a business network with it own DHCP server and Gateway. I have
>connected a Linksys WRT54G access point/router to the network. The IP
>addresses in the LAN are 128.28.14.xxx. By default the router has an
>internal IP address of 192.168.1.1 and when acting as a DHCP server
>hands out IP address starting with 192.168.1.100. I can access outside
>the LAN when using it as a gateway. However, when I change it to a
>router and give it a static IP address I cannot access anything. What I
>would like it to do is hand out IP address in the same subnet
>(128.28.14.xxx) as the other machines so I can browse our local
>network. Is something like this possible?
>
>Thanks.

You can do this by doing several things. I do it with a
service called ZoneEdit and a piece of software by SiteDevelopers
called Dynamic DNS. It is a fifteen dollar program that you can buy
on the SiteDevelopers site.

Point your domain name at ZoneEdit with the DNS server
information that ZoneEdit provides you. Then, point your subdomain at
the current IP address of your gateway.

Next, set up a PAT translation to forward the request from the
port (port 80 for WWW) on the dynamic IP address (don't use the
dynamic IP address because it will change from time to time) to the
private IP address that your server is on.

Finally, download and install Dynamic DNS on your server. It
requires that your Windows PC have .NET Passport installed on it
before it will work. On a server, you can get the server edition so
it runs as a service on your PC. It will connect to ZoneEdit and give
the new gateway IP address when it changes.

From there, you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Fred