Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Linksys BEFW11S4 firmware screwup

Linksys BEFW11S4 firmware screwup

speeder

Apologies if this is not the right ng for this issue.

I can not get my WinXP box to recognize any longer my BEFW11S4v2
router at 192.168.1.1 after a failed attempt to upgrade the firmware.

Downloaded the befw11s4_v4_v1.52.02.bin file from Linksys FTP site,
and used the browser ("upgrade firmware" in help section). A progress
bar was displayed and before it reached the end, a "pattern mismatch"
error was displayed. I noticed I was using v4 firmware for a v2 router
and quit. Subsequent powerdowns/powerups can not get me to see the
router at 192.168.1.1 anymore. Ive tried pressing the reset button
for 30 secs, power off, releasing reset button, and nada.

Do I now own a brick?

Quaoar

speeder wrote:
> Apologies if this is not the right ng for this issue.
>
> I can not get my WinXP box to recognize any longer my BEFW11S4v2
> router at 192.168.1.1 after a failed attempt to upgrade the firmware.
>
> Downloaded the befw11s4_v4_v1.52.02.bin file from Linksys FTP site,
> and used the browser ("upgrade firmware" in help section). A progress
> bar was displayed and before it reached the end, a "pattern mismatch"
> error was displayed. I noticed I was using v4 firmware for a v2 router
> and quit. Subsequent powerdowns/powerups can not get me to see the
> router at 192.168.1.1 anymore. Ive tried pressing the reset button
> for 30 secs, power off, releasing reset button, and nada.
>
> Do I now own a brick?

Get the correct firmware and use the external installer that comes with
it. You might get lucky and resurect the router. Otherwise, yes, a
brick.

Dave Halsall

BTW, I found your post today, because I just noticed that firmware update
was available too... I currently have 1.50.14 on my v.4, and thought
*great*, perhaps this 1.52.02 will finally fix the bug that requires me to
have to re-boot the router every couple of days (because it hangs for some
reason... I know there are many other posts about this bug too)...

anyway, in my case, I have the correct hardware for this update, and it also
failed about 25% of the way through... however, although it kicks me to
another page sating that it failed... the hardware is still working and
continues to report the old firmware ver. Many attempts later, still no
luck with the update...

So, perhaps it's related? Perhaps their firmware comes complete with a BUG?
So, I've proceeded with asking Linksys, and expect no answer .

Also, prior to attempting this upgrade, I wanted to read the associated text
doc that they have a link to for this most recent update.... that link is
also broken, so all around it sounds like it just wasn't meant to be.

I hope you get your router working again... I assume you tried the hard
reset switch at the back of the router?

good luck, keep us posted... I will too if I find any more.

dave

"Quaoar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> speeder wrote:
> > Apologies if this is not the right ng for this issue.
> >
> > I can not get my WinXP box to recognize any longer my BEFW11S4v2
> > router at 192.168.1.1 after a failed attempt to upgrade the firmware.
> >
> > Downloaded the befw11s4_v4_v1.52.02.bin file from Linksys FTP site,
> > and used the browser ("upgrade firmware" in help section). A progress
> > bar was displayed and before it reached the end, a "pattern mismatch"
> > error was displayed. I noticed I was using v4 firmware for a v2 router
> > and quit. Subsequent powerdowns/powerups can not get me to see the
> > router at 192.168.1.1 anymore. Ive tried pressing the reset button
> > for 30 secs, power off, releasing reset button, and nada.
> >
> > Do I now own a brick?

> Get the correct firmware and use the external installer that comes with
> it. You might get lucky and resurect the router. Otherwise, yes, a
> brick.

speeder

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:11:37 -0300, speeder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Apologies if this is not the right ng for this issue.
>
>I can not get my WinXP box to recognize any longer my BEFW11S4v2
>router at 192.168.1.1 after a failed attempt to upgrade the firmware.
>
>Downloaded the befw11s4_v4_v1.52.02.bin file from Linksys FTP site,
>and used the browser ("upgrade firmware" in help section). A progress
>bar was displayed and before it reached the end, a "pattern mismatch"
>error was displayed. I noticed I was using v4 firmware for a v2 router
>and quit. Subsequent powerdowns/powerups can not get me to see the
>router at 192.168.1.1 anymore. Ive tried pressing the reset button
>for 30 secs, power off, releasing reset button, and nada.
>
>Do I now own a brick?

Ok guys, I got it back running. feeewh!

The solution was to appoint a static IP to my PC and then check if it
could see the router. Indeed, with a static IP on the PC the router
was accessible at 192.168.1.1 and I could get in the setup pages
again. I then noticed that DHCP server was off and turned it on.
Rebooted the whole rig and everything was recognized and in order.
Apperantly the firmware was not erased/corrupted when I tried updating
it with the wrong version, my worst fear.

I did learn in the process that v2 through v3.2 can be updated with
the same firmware available at Linksys FTP site. I also learned that
upgrading firmware (at least for this older model) can produce
unexpected results such as no more SPI, or even the ability to upgrade
further firmware through the web.

Im going to stick with what I have for now and get a new router
later.

tks