Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking Win and Mac machines over wireless

Networking Win and Mac machines over wireless

H Sridhar

I have a D-Link 624+ router and a NIC from D-Link. My Internet connection is
ADSL thro a USB ADSL Modem connected to a Intelp4 machine running Windows XP
Home. In order to be able to share the internet connection for browsiing on
my Mac Powerbook I had to shut off the DHCP setting on the DLINK router.
I am unable to mount a Windows SMB volume from my Mac which is on the
network. I get an error message after the authentication screen. I am logged
in as an administrator on my windows machine and have set up file sharing
but I have no password to login as I did not specify any when I installed XP
home.

Any solutions for mounting let us say drive C of my windows machine on my
Mac(OSX 10.2. desktop???

H Sridhar

J.J. O'Shea

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:21:53 -0500, H Sridhar wrote
(in article <BCF8BD49.4E0%(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I have a D-Link 624+ router and a NIC from D-Link. My Internet connection is
> ADSL thro a USB ADSL Modem connected to a Intelp4 machine running Windows XP
> Home. In order to be able to share the internet connection for browsiing on
> my Mac Powerbook I had to shut off the DHCP setting on the DLINK router.
> I am unable to mount a Windows SMB volume from my Mac which is on the
> network. I get an error message after the authentication screen. I am logged
> in as an administrator on my windows machine and have set up file sharing
> but I have no password to login as I did not specify any when I installed XP
> home.

Did you set NTFS security to allow access?

This may help. <http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html>

> H Sridhar

David Hettel

Windows XP "Home" does not support mounting the C:\ drive at the root level,
for that you need XP Pro. You can share selected folders this may help
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html and
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm

--
David Hettel