Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX 7.0 & MPLS/VLAN support?

PIX 7.0 & MPLS/VLAN support?

Garry

I may have overlooked it, but couldn't find anything about this ...
Does the new 7.0 version include either support for MPLS/VRFs, and/or
VLAN support that isn't counted towards a 10/12 interface maximum as in
6.* (which in turn would also require routing same subnets on different
VLANs) ? Especially the VRF support would be great, as to date I have
not found any firewall that supported it (apart from the Cisco routers
if you want to count their abilites as a Firewall). Only solution I
found to date were Lucent Bricks, which are a major PITA/POS ...

Tnx, -garry

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?=A3ukasz_Bromirski?=

Garry wrote:
> I may have overlooked it, but couldn't find anything about this ...

You can read about all new functionality here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0803f0f4c.html

> Does the new 7.0 version include either support for MPLS/VRFs

No.

> and/or VLAN support that isn't counted towards a 10/12 interface
> maximum as in 6.*

Yes, the limits for the VLANs per platform were raised. You can
check for them here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080423226.html

> Especially the VRF support would be great, as to date I have
> not found any firewall that supported it (apart from the Cisco routers
> if you want to count their abilites as a Firewall).

Cisco routers can be a stateful firewall with advanced traffic
inspection and IDS/IPS functionalities in one, VRF-aware of course.
Do You have anything against CBAC?

--
this space was intentionally left blank | Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here | lukasz:bromirski,net

darren

The 6500 supports MPLS and also the FWSM and VLAN support (the FSWM is a
PIX on a blade). You can also run virtual firewalls on the FWSM
(additional license required). There not bad but still no multicast
support.

Darren