Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > XML databases

XML databases

Gilbert Ostlethwaite

First of all, apologies if I'm in the wrong group, but I thought that
the two are likely to go together. I have an java application that
sends and receives XML documents and I need to add a storage facility
and I need to be able to query that storage.

I've looked for XML databases, but most that I've looked at don't seem
to be current, Apache Xindice and Sleepycat DbXML, for example, don't
seem to have had a new release since 2004 and searching through the
newsgroups turns up some pretty uncomplimentary comments about XML
databases. I'm aware that many RDBMS such as Oracle now implement an
XML frontend, but the project is not big enough to warrant an Oracle
license.

So what are people using to store & query XML documents these days?

Regards
Gilbert

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Gilbert Ostlethwaite wrote:
> First of all, apologies if I'm in the wrong group, but I thought that
> the two are likely to go together. I have an java application that
> sends and receives XML documents and I need to add a storage facility
> and I need to be able to query that storage.
>
> I've looked for XML databases, but most that I've looked at don't seem
> to be current, Apache Xindice and Sleepycat DbXML, for example, don't
> seem to have had a new release since 2004 and searching through the
> newsgroups turns up some pretty uncomplimentary comments about XML
> databases. I'm aware that many RDBMS such as Oracle now implement an
> XML frontend, but the project is not big enough to warrant an Oracle
> license.
>
> So what are people using to store & query XML documents these days?

If you just need a database to store and retrieve XML then
you can use any database including a bunch of free database.

If you need a real XML database with XQuery etc. then it
is more difficult to find something.

Maybe "exist". Last release is actually very recent.

Arne

Gilbert Ostlethwaite

> > So what are people using to store & query XML documents these days?

> If you just need a database to store and retrieve XML then
> you can use any database including a bunch of free database.
>
> If you need a real XML database with XQuery etc. then it
> is more difficult to find something.
>
> Maybe "exist". Last release is actually very recent.

I will need to be able to query the database - whether I need XQuery is
another matter. DBXml appears to allow me to use simple XPath
expressions to get at what I want. Problem is that what I know about
XML databases could be written on the back of a postage stamp, which is
why I was asking what others are using. I'll take a look at eXist as
well.

Regards
Gilbert

Chris Uppal

Gilbert Ostlethwaite wrote:

> I will need to be able to query the database - whether I need XQuery is
> another matter. DBXml appears to allow me to use simple XPath
> expressions to get at what I want. Problem is that what I know about
> XML databases could be written on the back of a postage stamp, which is
> why I was asking what others are using. I'll take a look at eXist as
> well.

Google turned this up. It looks as if it may be worth reading
http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm

-- chris