Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > obtaining the IP ADDRESS of an IP POHNE by its MAC ADDRESS

obtaining the IP ADDRESS of an IP POHNE by its MAC ADDRESS

ProgDario

HI,

I'm developing a process that needs to obtain the IP ADDRESS of a IP
PHONE, but I only know the MAC ADDRESS (sep number) of the target
phone.

On the DHCP SERVER installed, I see the 'Address Leases' table, and it
contains the information I need, BUT I DON'T KNOW how to query this
table.

Any hint is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

ario

John Smith

As this is a cisco newsgroup I'll attempt a cisco answer. Log into your
router and type "show arp", it does what it says on the tin.

Regards
Paul

"ProgDario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> HI,
>
> I'm developing a process that needs to obtain the IP ADDRESS of a IP
> PHONE, but I only know the MAC ADDRESS (sep number) of the target
> phone.
>
> On the DHCP SERVER installed, I see the 'Address Leases' table, and it
> contains the information I need, BUT I DON'T KNOW how to query this
> table.
>

> Any hint is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> ario

ProgDario

Thanks for the reply, but the answer is too low-level for my
environment.

I have to query the DHCP server via java but I don't have access to the
switch configuration.

I need a way to query the DHCP server directly, and extract the
'Address Leases' list.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ario

John Smith

sorry I don't understand the workings of DHCP at that sort of level. Are you
sure it's even possible? I suppose grabbing the arp table off the local
machine is no good to you? "arp -a" from the command prompt

"ProgDario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks for the reply, but the answer is too low-level for my
> environment.
>
> I have to query the DHCP server via java but I don't have access to the
> switch configuration.
>
> I need a way to query the DHCP server directly, and extract the
> 'Address Leases' list.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks
>

> ario

ProgDario

Yes, it could be useful, but if I am on a PC, how can I grab the ARP
table on the DHCP SERVER that's on another PC?

Thanks again!!

ario

Scooby

"ProgDario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Yes, it could be useful, but if I am on a PC, how can I grab the ARP
> table on the DHCP SERVER that's on another PC?
>
> Thanks again!!
>
> ario

I like using SNMP for stuff like this. If your DHCP server was on a cisco
device, that would work. However, since it is on the PC, that makes it
tough. You could perhaps use SNMP to query the switch that the device is
connected to. Phones keep enough traffic going that the arp should always
be in the table on the switch. It may not always be available on the PC,
since the phone will just be communicating periodically to update the DHCP
lease.

Hope that helps,

Jim

ProgDario

OK, I understand you are an expert in this sector, but unfortunately
I'm a newbie, so your answer sounds difficult to understand.

How can I query the switch? Does this mean that I have to prepare e
SNMP query or something similar?

Thanks

ario

Scooby

"ProgDario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> OK, I understand you are an expert in this sector, but unfortunately
> I'm a newbie, so your answer sounds difficult to understand.
>
> How can I query the switch? Does this mean that I have to prepare e
> SNMP query or something similar?
>

> Thanks
>

> ario

Well, I guess that it would help to know a little more what you are trying
to do. Are you writing a program? What tool are you using for that?

But, the answer is yes, you'd use a query (or series of queries) to get that
information off the switch. You'd do best to familiarize yourself with the
way that SNMP works. Either get a book, or search the resources on the web.

ProgDario

OK, I'll explaine the purpose of my application.

I have two input parameters: [DHCP Server address] and [Some device MAC
address].

I have to write a Java class that retrieves the ARP table from a DHCP
remote server by knowing its IP ADDRESS.

Then, with the ARP TABLE listed, I have to extract the IP ADDRESS of a
device by knowing the MAC Address.

Thanks!!

ario

John Smith

"ProgDario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Yes, it could be useful, but if I am on a PC, how can I grab the ARP
> table on the DHCP SERVER that's on another PC?
>
> Thanks again!!
>
> ario

psexec from pstools would be able to do this.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml