Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java web start and JRE versions

Java web start and JRE versions

Paul Robson

A question regarding Java Web Start

I understand that by putting the appropriate link in the file I can force
download of a specified JRE to run the application (if it isn't already
there).

My question is ; does this overwrite the system JRE.

If I want to have JRE1.4 installed, but have an app that downloads JRE1.5
to run something via JWS, will the system be upgraded to 1.5 as well ?

Or does it depend on the OS ?

Andrew Thompson

Paul Robson wrote:
> A question regarding Java Web Start
>
> I understand that by putting the appropriate link in the file I can force
> download of a specified JRE to run the application (if it isn't already
> there).

Your understanding is flawed. By putting the appropriate
*attribute* of the J2SE element of the JNLP, you can
specify either a minimum or exact version that needs
to be present for the app. to run.

By adding a location of the autodownload CAB, you can
also suggest to your end user, where they can get it,
and also show a generic download page for the non
IE/Windows users.

It is up to the end user whether they proceed with
the download, and their sytem administrator as to
whether they have the necessary rights to install it.

> My question is ; does this overwrite the system JRE.

No.

> If I want to have JRE1.4 installed, but have an app that downloads JRE1.5
> to run something via JWS, will the system be upgraded to 1.5 as well ?

Probably, but then, that is probably a good thing to do
(upgrade) for any application that has not, itself, requested
version '1.4.oIFailOnAnyOtherMicroVersionJRE'.

> Or does it depend on the OS ?

Shrugs.. Why worry about it?
Other applications or not our problem.

Andrew T.

Paul Robson

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 04:43:55 -0800, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> Paul Robson wrote:
>> A question regarding Java Web Start

Thanks