Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to get connection to remote host

How to get connection to remote host

arunkumar.mit@gmail.com

Hi,

When i trying use it by means of telnet the connection is refused,
so is that i might be behind proxy. Or wht could go worng in this. In
httpunit they just given the the url directly as "www.meterware.com" to
get the response when i try to do it, The error pops. Is there anything
they were missing in explaining this, is so let me know it

cheers,
Arun.

On Nov 9, 4:37 pm, "Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>
> > No i am not able to ping to remote host, how can i do it. I am able to
> > get response on a browser from the url but when i try it using httpunit
> > webconversation and webrequest i am get the error You should probably forget about pinging. The telnet advice than Jan

> gave you is better. Pinging might give you a false negative if the server is
> configured to ignore pings.
>
> - Oliver

Ian Wilson

> Daniel Pitts wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> I am beginner in httpunit i am trying to get resonse from a
>>> remote host, but i am not able to get it
>>>
>>> the error is
>>> connnection Exception: connection refused; connect
>>>
>>> how can i resolve it

>> Make sure a few things: 1. The remote host is listening on the port
>> you are trying to connect to (often 80, or 8080) 2. The host you
>> are connecting to is reachable from the host you are on. (using
>> ping, for instance) 3. You are specifying the correct host name and
>> port.
>>

> How to make sure the remote host is listening to the port i am
> connecting, iam just giving the url from which i want the response.

You say you can reach this remote host using a web-browser? Does the
web-browser have a local http-proxy configured?

In Internet Explorer, select the "Tools" menu, "Internet Options",
"Connections", "LAN Settings" and see if the "Proxy" is ticked.

Martin Gregorie

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When i trying use it by means of telnet the connection is refused,
> so is that i might be behind proxy. Or wht could go worng in this. In
> httpunit they just given the the url directly as "www.meterware.com" to
> get the response when i try to do it, The error pops. Is there anything
> they were missing in explaining this, is so let me know it

Well, from where I'm sitting

- ping works
- I can telnet to port 80
- my browser can fetch the main page

You'd better check that you aren't using a proxy and/or being blocked by
a firewall on your site.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK