Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Help Java novice

Help Java novice

JavaNovice

Hi All,

I am new to this group and new to Java. Currently i am only six weeks
into a course. I am studying bioinformatics. Anyway i am working my way
through Java for dummies along side the coursework i am being set but i
have come to a roadblock.

I am trying to run the following code:-
import java.util.Scanner;
import static java.lang.System.out;

class ScoreBoard{

public static void main(String args[]){
Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);
int hankees, socks;
WhoWins who;

out.print("Hankees and Socks scores? ");
hankees = myScanner.nextInt();
socks = myScanner.nextInt();
out.println();

if (hankees > socks){
who = WhoWins.home;
out.println("The hankees win ");
} else if (socks > hankees){
who = WhoWins.visitor;
out.println("The socks win ");
} else {
who = WhoWins.neither;
out.println("It's a tie ");
}

out.println();
out.println("Today's game is brought to you by");
out.println("SnitSoft, the number one software");
out.println("vendor in the Hankeevilee area.");
out.println("SnitSoft is featured proudly in");
out.println("Chapter 6. and remember, four out");
out.println("of five doctors recommend SnitSoft");
out.println("to their patients.");
out.println();

if (who == WhoWins.home){
out.println("We beat 'em good. Didin't we?");
}
if (who == WhoWins.visitor){
out.println("The umpire made an unfair call. ");
}
if (who == WhoWins.neither){
out.println("The game goes into overtime.");
}

}

}
But the compiler cannot find WhoWins enum type. I have installed the
latest jdk-6-beta2 with the relevent API documents and still no joy. I
was using jdk-1_5 with relevent API. I can just skip enum types but i
would rather get to the bottom of this. Also, i went onto Java sun
tutorials and copied and pasted their example of the enum type Day in a
piece of code into my complier. Again the same problen ; cannot find
symbol class Day. Help please i have exhausted all possibilities and i
am now just left scratching my very sore head.

Thanks
Sarah
xx

JanTheKing

Sarah,

Can you paste the compiler error in your post? Also provide the code
for the WhoWins enum.

Jan

JavaNovice wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to this group and new to Java. Currently i am only six weeks
> into a course. I am studying bioinformatics. Anyway i am working my way
> through Java for dummies along side the coursework i am being set but i
> have come to a roadblock.
>
> I am trying to run the following code:-
> import java.util.Scanner;
> import static java.lang.System.out;
>

> class ScoreBoard{
>
> public static void main(String args[]){
> Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);
> int hankees, socks;
> WhoWins who;
>
> out.print("Hankees and Socks scores? ");
> hankees = myScanner.nextInt();
> socks = myScanner.nextInt();
> out.println();
>
> if (hankees > socks){
> who = WhoWins.home;
> out.println("The hankees win ");
> } else if (socks > hankees){
> who = WhoWins.visitor;
> out.println("The socks win ");
> } else {
> who = WhoWins.neither;
> out.println("It's a tie ");
> }
>
> out.println();
> out.println("Today's game is brought to you by");
> out.println("SnitSoft, the number one software");
> out.println("vendor in the Hankeevilee area.");
> out.println("SnitSoft is featured proudly in");
> out.println("Chapter 6. and remember, four out");
> out.println("of five doctors recommend SnitSoft");
> out.println("to their patients.");
> out.println();
>
> if (who == WhoWins.home){
> out.println("We beat 'em good. Didin't we?");
> }
> if (who == WhoWins.visitor){
> out.println("The umpire made an unfair call. ");
> }
> if (who == WhoWins.neither){
> out.println("The game goes into overtime.");
> }
>

> }
>

> }
> But the compiler cannot find WhoWins enum type. I have installed the
> latest jdk-6-beta2 with the relevent API documents and still no joy. I
> was using jdk-1_5 with relevent API. I can just skip enum types but i
> would rather get to the bottom of this. Also, i went onto Java sun
> tutorials and copied and pasted their example of the enum type Day in a
> piece of code into my complier. Again the same problen ; cannot find
> symbol class Day. Help please i have exhausted all possibilities and i
> am now just left scratching my very sore head.
>
> Thanks
> Sarah
> xx

JavaNovice

Hi JanTheKing,

I have managed to get the code to compile but i am getting the
following error message :-

Welcome to DrJava. Working directory is C:\Documents and
Settings\Steven\Desktop\Sarah Programming\Java
> java WhoWins

Error: No 'main' method in 'WhoWins' with arguments:
([Ljava.lang.String

Sarah

JanTheKing wrote:
> Sarah,
>
> Can you paste the compiler error in your post? Also provide the code
> for the WhoWins enum.
>
> Jan
>
> JavaNovice wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am new to this group and new to Java. Currently i am only six weeks
> > into a course. I am studying bioinformatics. Anyway i am working my way
> > through Java for dummies along side the coursework i am being set but i
> > have come to a roadblock.
> >
> > I am trying to run the following code:-
> > import java.util.Scanner;
> > import static java.lang.System.out;
> >

> > class ScoreBoard{
> >
> > public static void main(String args[]){
> > Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);
> > int hankees, socks;
> > WhoWins who;
> >
> > out.print("Hankees and Socks scores? ");
> > hankees = myScanner.nextInt();
> > socks = myScanner.nextInt();
> > out.println();
> >
> > if (hankees > socks){
> > who = WhoWins.home;
> > out.println("The hankees win ");
> > } else if (socks > hankees){
> > who = WhoWins.visitor;
> > out.println("The socks win ");
> > } else {
> > who = WhoWins.neither;
> > out.println("It's a tie ");
> > }
> >
> > out.println();
> > out.println("Today's game is brought to you by");
> > out.println("SnitSoft, the number one software");
> > out.println("vendor in the Hankeevilee area.");
> > out.println("SnitSoft is featured proudly in");
> > out.println("Chapter 6. and remember, four out");
> > out.println("of five doctors recommend SnitSoft");
> > out.println("to their patients.");
> > out.println();
> >
> > if (who == WhoWins.home){
> > out.println("We beat 'em good. Didin't we?");
> > }
> > if (who == WhoWins.visitor){
> > out.println("The umpire made an unfair call. ");
> > }
> > if (who == WhoWins.neither){
> > out.println("The game goes into overtime.");
> > }
> >

> > }
> >

> > }
> > But the compiler cannot find WhoWins enum type. I have installed the
> > latest jdk-6-beta2 with the relevent API documents and still no joy. I
> > was using jdk-1_5 with relevent API. I can just skip enum types but i
> > would rather get to the bottom of this. Also, i went onto Java sun
> > tutorials and copied and pasted their example of the enum type Day in a
> > piece of code into my complier. Again the same problen ; cannot find
> > symbol class Day. Help please i have exhausted all possibilities and i
> > am now just left scratching my very sore head.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sarah
> > xx

Martin Gregorie

JavaNovice wrote:
> Hi JanTheKing,
>
> I have managed to get the code to compile but i am getting the
> following error message :-
>

> Welcome to DrJava. Working directory is C:\Documents and
> Settings\Steven\Desktop\Sarah Programming\Java
>> java WhoWins

> Error: No 'main' method in 'WhoWins' with arguments:
> ([Ljava.lang.String
> Sarah

You have to run the class containing the main() method, so start it with

java ScoreBoard

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

IchBin

JavaNovice wrote:
> Hi JanTheKing,
>
> I have managed to get the code to compile but i am getting the
> following error message :-
>

> Welcome to DrJava. Working directory is C:\Documents and
> Settings\Steven\Desktop\Sarah Programming\Java
>> java WhoWins

> Error: No 'main' method in 'WhoWins' with arguments:
> ([Ljava.lang.String
> Sarah
>

> JanTheKing wrote:
>> Sarah,
>>
>> Can you paste the compiler error in your post? Also provide the code
>> for the WhoWins enum.
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> JavaNovice wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am new to this group and new to Java. Currently i am only six weeks
>>> into a course. I am studying bioinformatics. Anyway i am working my way
>>> through Java for dummies along side the coursework i am being set but i
>>> have come to a roadblock.
>>>
>>> I am trying to run the following code:-
>>> import java.util.Scanner;
>>> import static java.lang.System.out;
>>>

>>> class ScoreBoard{
>>>
>>> public static void main(String args[]){
>>> Scanner myScanner = new Scanner(System.in);
>>> int hankees, socks;
>>> WhoWins who;
>>>
>>> out.print("Hankees and Socks scores? ");
>>> hankees = myScanner.nextInt();
>>> socks = myScanner.nextInt();
>>> out.println();
>>>
>>> if (hankees > socks){
>>> who = WhoWins.home;
>>> out.println("The hankees win ");
>>> } else if (socks > hankees){
>>> who = WhoWins.visitor;
>>> out.println("The socks win ");
>>> } else {
>>> who = WhoWins.neither;
>>> out.println("It's a tie ");
>>> }
>>>
>>> out.println();
>>> out.println("Today's game is brought to you by");
>>> out.println("SnitSoft, the number one software");
>>> out.println("vendor in the Hankeevilee area.");
>>> out.println("SnitSoft is featured proudly in");
>>> out.println("Chapter 6. and remember, four out");
>>> out.println("of five doctors recommend SnitSoft");
>>> out.println("to their patients.");
>>> out.println();
>>>
>>> if (who == WhoWins.home){
>>> out.println("We beat 'em good. Didin't we?");
>>> }
>>> if (who == WhoWins.visitor){
>>> out.println("The umpire made an unfair call. ");
>>> }
>>> if (who == WhoWins.neither){
>>> out.println("The game goes into overtime.");
>>> }
>>>

>>> }
>>>

>>> }
>>> But the compiler cannot find WhoWins enum type. I have installed the
>>> latest jdk-6-beta2 with the relevent API documents and still no joy. I
>>> was using jdk-1_5 with relevent API. I can just skip enum types but i
>>> would rather get to the bottom of this. Also, i went onto Java sun
>>> tutorials and copied and pasted their example of the enum type Day in a
>>> piece of code into my complier. Again the same problen ; cannot find
>>> symbol class Day. Help please i have exhausted all possibilities and i
>>> am now just left scratching my very sore head.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sarah
>>> xx

Sarah, as JanTheKing asked: What does your WhoWins class look like?

--
Thanks in Advance... http://ichbin.9999mb.com
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

JavaNovice

Hi JanTheKing,

Sorry if i am being thick. But what do you mean, what does WhoWins look
like?

Sarah
IchBin wrote:
> JavaNovice wrote:
> > Hi JanTheKing,
> >
> > I have managed to get the code to compile but i am getting the
> > following error message :-
> >

> > Welcome to DrJava. Working directory is C:\Documents and
> > Settings\Steven\Desktop\Sarah Programming\Java
> >> java WhoWins

> > Error: No 'main' method in 'WhoWins' with arguments:
> > ([Ljava.lang.String
> > Sarah
> >

> > JanTheKing wrote:
> >> Sarah,
> >>
> >> Can you paste the compiler error in your post? Also provide the code
> >> for the WhoWins enum.
> >>
> >> Jan

> Sarah, as JanTheKing asked: What does your WhoWins class look like?
>
> --
> Thanks in Advance... http://ichbin.9999mb.com
> IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.phpnet.us
> 'If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
> -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Daniel Pitts

JavaNovice wrote:
> Hi JanTheKing,
>
> Sorry if i am being thick. But what do you mean, what does WhoWins look
> like?

First, please don't top post.
What does WhoWins look like? It looks like the contents of the
WhoWins.java file. Because WhoWins is not a standard API somewhere, it
would have been useful for us to see its contents.

Anyway, as someone else has pointed out. you need to run "java
ScoreBoard", as ScoreBoard is the java class that has a "public static
void main(String[])" method

Simon Brooke

in message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
JavaNovice ('(E-Mail Removed)') wrote:

> IchBin wrote:

^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^

>> Sarah, as JanTheKing asked: What does your WhoWins class look like?

> Sorry if i am being thick. But what do you mean, what does WhoWins look
> like?

I think she's using an enum type called WhoWins, not a class. Still, could
we see the definition of it, please?

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Error 1109: There is no message for this error

Daniel Pitts

Simon Brooke wrote:
> I think she's using an enum type called WhoWins, not a class. Still, could
> we see the definition of it, please?

Actually, in Java, an enum type is a class. But yes, we are all asking
for the definition of WhoWins.