Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > I need help with compile errors for game please

I need help with compile errors for game please

judith

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) MSN Home | My MSN | Hotmail |
Shopping | Money | People & Chat
Web Search:

Hotmail
Today Mail Calendar Contacts
Options | Help

(E-Mail Removed) Messenger: Offline
Free Newsletters

Reply | Reply All | Forward | Delete | This is not Junk | Put in
Folder | Print View

Inbox
Sent Messages
Drafts
Trash Can
judith wrote:
> [...]
> }
> public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent event)
> {
> Object object = event.getSource();
>
> if (object == newGameItem)
> {
> boardPanel.shuffle();
> winningsPanel.init();
> frame.repaint();
> }
> else if (object == shuffleItem)
> {
> boardPanel.shuffle();
> frame.repaint();
> }
> else if (object == exitItem)
> frame.setVisible(false);
> }
> public void display()
> {
> frame.setVisible(true);
> }
> }
> //projectJS.java
>
> package chapter14;
>
> import java.awt.*;
>
> public class projectJS
> {
> public static final Color darkGreen = new Color(0, 128, 0),
> lightYellow = new Color(255, 255, 12;
> public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
> new WinningsPanel();
> public static BoardPanel boardPanel =
> new BoardPanel();;
>
> public static void main(String[] args)
> {
> GameFrame frame = new GameFrame("Card Game of War",
> boardPanel, winningsPanel);
>
> frame.display();
> }
> }
>
> Here are the compile errors and i don't know how to fix them since i
> copied the program right out of the book Learning Java Through
> Applications. If anyone can help i would appreciate it Judith Spurlock
>
> C:\>javac projectJS.java
> projectJS.java:9: cannot find symbol
> symbol : class WinningsPanel
> location: class chapter14.projectJS
> public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
> ^
> projectJS.java:11: cannot find symbol
> symbol : class BoardPanel
> location: class chapter14.projectJS
> public static BoardPanel boardPanel =
> ^
> projectJS.java:10: cannot find symbol
> symbol : class winningsPanel
> location: class chapter14.projectJS
> new winningsPanel();
> ^
> projectJS.java:12: cannot find symbol
> symbol : class boardPanel
> location: class chapter14.projectJS
> new boardPanel();;
> ^
> projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
> symbol : class GameFrame
> location: class chapter14.projectJS
> GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",
> ^
> projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
> symbol : class gameFrame
> location: class chapter14.projectJS
> GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",

Ralf Seitner

Hi!
>> //projectJS.java
>>
>> package chapter14;
>>
>> import java.awt.*;
>>
>> public class projectJS

Code is more readable, if you stick to the coding conventions. E.g.:
Class names start with an upper-case letter. So ProjectJS would be better.
>> {
>> public static final Color darkGreen = new Color(0, 128, 0),
>> lightYellow = new Color(255, 255, 12;
>> public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =
>> new WinningsPanel();
>> public static BoardPanel boardPanel =
>> new BoardPanel();;
>>
>> public static void main(String[] args)
>> {
>> GameFrame frame = new GameFrame("Card Game of War",
>> boardPanel, winningsPanel);
>>
>> frame.display();
>> }
>> }
>>
>> Here are the compile errors and i don't know how to fix them since i
>> copied the program right out of the book Learning Java Through
>> Applications. If anyone can help i would appreciate it Judith Spurlock
>>
>> C:\>javac projectJS.java
>> projectJS.java:9: cannot find symbol
>> symbol : class WinningsPanel
>> location: class chapter14.projectJS
>> public static WinningsPanel winningsPanel =

Probably class "WinningsPanel" is not in the same package as class
"projectJS". So either move "WinningsPanel" to package that contains
"projectJS" or import it.
>> ^
>> projectJS.java:11: cannot find symbol
>> symbol : class BoardPanel
>> location: class chapter14.projectJS
>> public static BoardPanel boardPanel =

Same here.
>> ^
>> projectJS.java:10: cannot find symbol
>> symbol : class winningsPanel
>> location: class chapter14.projectJS
>> new winningsPanel();

Java is case-sensitive. That means it is a difference whether you write
"new WinningsPanel();" or "new winningsPanel()". The class' name is
"WinningsPanel", so "new WinningsPanel()" is correct. Class
"winningsPanel" does not exist.
>> ^
>> projectJS.java:12: cannot find symbol
>> symbol : class boardPanel
>> location: class chapter14.projectJS
>> new boardPanel();;

Same here.
>> ^
>> projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
>> symbol : class GameFrame
>> location: class chapter14.projectJS
>> GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",

Same here.
>> ^
>> projectJS.java:16: cannot find symbol
>> symbol : class gameFrame
>> location: class chapter14.projectJS
>> GameFrame frame = new gameFrame("Card Game of War",

Same here.

Hope that helps.
bye, Ralf
^