Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Rate-limits Cisco Router

Rate-limits Cisco Router

c1tc

Hi all

I have a cisco router which uses rate-limits to control traffic inbound
and outbound of each interface. The router is a 3600 and here is an
example of one of the interfaces:

interface Serial2/2
bandwidth 2048
ip address 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x
ip verify unicast reverse-path
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
rate-limit input 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
rate-limit output 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
ip summary-address eigrp x 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 5
no ip mroute-cache
ntp broadcast
no cdp enable

Can someone please explain how the rate limits work?

Many thanks

John Smith

Hi, I wonder if this helps at all?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/....htm#wp1037428

Basically on your example here

rate-limit input 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit exceed-action
drop

this is a looking at data coming into the interface and limiting it to 1
megabit/s,

"conform-action transmit" means, "transmit anything that is below 1
megabit/s"

and this bit "exceed-action drop" means, "drop anything that is above 1
megabit/s"

The other two numbers are
burst-normal - Normal burst size, in bytes. The minimum value is bps divided
by 2000."
burst-max which means - Excess burst size, in bytes

Though I must admit I don't really understand what those burst-normal and
burst-max actually mean. Maybe someone else can explain.

Regards

Paul

"c1tc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi all
>
> I have a cisco router which uses rate-limits to control traffic inbound
> and outbound of each interface. The router is a 3600 and here is an
> example of one of the interfaces:
>
> interface Serial2/2
> bandwidth 2048
> ip address 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x
> ip verify unicast reverse-path
> no ip redirects
> no ip proxy-arp
> rate-limit input 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit
> exceed-action drop
> rate-limit output 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit
> exceed-action drop
> ip summary-address eigrp x 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 5
> no ip mroute-cache
> ntp broadcast
> no cdp enable
>
> Can someone please explain how the rate limits work?
>
> Many thanks

c1tc

Thanks Paul,

Can anyone else explain the difference between Normal and Excess burst
rates and how they work?? I have read the Cisco literature but looking
for an explanation in simple terms!

Also will the Bandwidth command have any effect on the traffic allowed
through the interface?

cheers

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<d46548$g73$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi, I wonder if this helps at all?
>
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/....htm#wp1037428
>
> Basically on your example here
>
> rate-limit input 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit exceed-action
> drop
>
> this is a looking at data coming into the interface and limiting it to 1
> megabit/s,
>
> "conform-action transmit" means, "transmit anything that is below 1
> megabit/s"
>
> and this bit "exceed-action drop" means, "drop anything that is above 1
> megabit/s"
>
> The other two numbers are
> burst-normal - Normal burst size, in bytes. The minimum value is bps divided
> by 2000."
> burst-max which means - Excess burst size, in bytes
>
> Though I must admit I don't really understand what those burst-normal and
> burst-max actually mean. Maybe someone else can explain.
>

> Regards
>
> Paul
>

> "c1tc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a cisco router which uses rate-limits to control traffic inbound
> > and outbound of each interface. The router is a 3600 and here is an
> > example of one of the interfaces:
> >
> > interface Serial2/2
> > bandwidth 2048
> > ip address 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x
> > ip verify unicast reverse-path
> > no ip redirects
> > no ip proxy-arp
> > rate-limit input 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit
> > exceed-action drop
> > rate-limit output 1024000 25000 25000 conform-action transmit
> > exceed-action drop
> > ip summary-address eigrp x 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 5
> > no ip mroute-cache
> > ntp broadcast
> > no cdp enable
> >
> > Can someone please explain how the rate limits work?
> >
> > Many thanks

John Smith

> Also will the Bandwidth command have any effect on the traffic allowed
> through the interface?

No. But it does affect metrics under OSPF which might make the route more
or less desirable.