Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Commercial Java program bundled with 'free' database?

Commercial Java program bundled with 'free' database?

Korto

Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
distribute it to my customer so I have a question:

Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
licensing fees?

Thanks, all!

Korto

Daniel Dyer

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:19:44 -0000, Korto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:

Are you talking about the actual data files created? As far as I am
aware, the output of a GPL program is not itself covered by the GPL. If
you are talking about the database engine itself or the JDBC driver, then
your application will be bound by the terms of the GPL (you would have to
provide source to everybody that you provided binaries to). But you
shouldn't be taking legal advice from some random bloke on USENET.

> Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
> with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
> licensing fees?

Look for something with a BSD or Apache licence. PostgreSQL and Derby are
the two alternatives that spring to mind.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.uncommons.org

Thomas Weidenfeller

Korto wrote:
> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:

I have sad this a few times, and I will say it again. Seeking legal
advice on Usenet is a rather bad idea. Do you think a judge will buy
your claim "But that stranger on Usenet told me so!" if things go wrong?

Pay and ask a lawyer, if this is an important matter for you.

/Thomas
--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/faqs/faqs-hie...lang.java.gui/

Christopher Benson-Manica

Korto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:

> Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
> with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
> licensing fees?

You might consider asking this on misc.legal.computing.

jpbisguier@yahoo.ca

i know some commerical programs like sam party dj
http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/sampartydj/ use firebird as their
database engine http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php
you can use sql server 2005 express too but you have to get permission
from microsoft:
embedding:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...lexcustapp.asp
licensing:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/edition...tregister.mspx

hope this helps

Korto wrote:
> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:
>
> Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
> with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
> licensing fees?
>
> Thanks, all!
>
> Korto

David Segall

"Korto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
>files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
>sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
>distribute it to my customer so I have a question:
>
>Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
>with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
>licensing fees?

I have what I believe to be a complete list of freely distributable
"heavy duty" databases at <http://database.profectus.com.au>. MySQL
Community Edition is included. I would be horrified if you are
restricted from distributing the output that you have created from
_any_ program even if you are restricted from distributing the program
itself. In your case you can distribute both the database files and
the Community Edition of MySQL. I think that MySQL is licensed under
the Gnu Programming License so it would be sensible to include the
license with your distribution and provide a link to the MySQL source
code.

Chris Uppal

Korto wrote:

> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:

IIRC, the MySQL FAQ includes a section on what you can and can't do with MySQL
without paying a license fee. If it's not in the FAQ then it's somewhere on
their website.

Obviously, you should consult a lawyer for a worthwhile opinion ("worthwhile"
in that seeking it covers your arse against accusations of professional
negligence). But reading the FAQ may possibly allow you to save that expense.

> Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
> with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
> licensing fees?

Yes. Any database which comes with a less restrictive licence than MySQL. I
think PostgesSQL and HSQLDB both qualify, and there are others.

-- chris

Korto

Thank you, everyone, for the advice and input. You are correct, I may
need to talk with a legal expert before I continue on with this
project. Also, I'll check out those freely distributable databases and
also look into the Community Edition of MySQL.

Again, thank you all very much for your help!

Korto

Korto wrote:
> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:
>
> Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
> with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
> licensing fees?
>
> Thanks, all!
>
> Korto

Daniel Pitts

Korto wrote:
> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:
>
> Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
> with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay
> licensing fees?
>
> Thanks, all!
>
> Korto

You can distribute SQL scripts that you have created, since they are
your creation, and although they won't do anything without the
database, they are not part of the dataqbase. That may be the best
approach.

Simon Brooke

in message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Daniel
Pitts ('(E-Mail Removed)') wrote:

> Korto wrote:
>> Hi! I am writing a program for a client and I'm using several database
>> files that I created with MySQL (inventory, customer, etc). I'm not
>> sure if I can freely bundle these database files with my program when I
>> distribute it to my customer so I have a question:
>>
>> Does there exist something like MySQL that I can use to create files
>> with and distribute with programs that I write without having to pay

> You can distribute SQL scripts that you have created, since they are
> your creation, and although they won't do anything without the
> database, they are not part of the dataqbase. That may be the best
> approach.

Who owns the copyright on the files, you or the client? If you then you can
give it to the client because you own it. If the client, then you /must/
give it to the client, because he owns it.

You don't have to pay any licence fees for using MySQL anyway, it's open
source.

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Do not sail on uphill water.