Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > how to find jar file dependencies

how to find jar file dependencies

vk02720

Given a jar file xyz.jar and a directory containing all other .jar
files, how do I find out the dependent jar files of xyz.jar ?

TIA.

Robert Mark Bram

> Given a jar file xyz.jar and a directory containing all other .jar
> files, how do I find out the dependent jar files of xyz.jar ?

Nice question!

One way is to look at the manifest file in the jar. Manifest files can
be written with a "Class-Path" attribute that lists other resources
(jars, class files) that the jar file expects to have in the same
directory (or subdirectory etc, specified by a URL relative to the jar
file).
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...r/downman.html

Another way is just to compile something that uses the jar you want -
you will find out from the error messages (if anything) if there are
external resources that cannot be found.

Rob

jimmycheng603 jimmycheng603 is offline
Junior Member

try findmaven.net, enter the jar name to find out the jar then click the dependency button to show the dependency tree of the jar