Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Recommend a good programming environment for beginner?

Recommend a good programming environment for beginner?

BillJosephson

Danno wrote:
> Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
> > BillJosephson wrote:
> > > Heh, heh. And don't forget:
> > >
> > > g) now, when you've completed a - f, fill out your application for a
> > > retirement home, since that has taken your entire life. Of course, java
> > > is no longer in use at this time, but you can benefit from your vast
> > > research by writing an archeological tomb describing odd strctural
> > > languages for human control of digital computers in the 21st century.

> > Sorry, I was not aware that you don't want to elevate above script
> > kiddie level. I hope the academic standards at New Mexico State are
> > higher and they either teach you some common sense or let you fail your
> > course.

> Uncalled for.
>

> > > And, dude, I said dude, because some people don't like dude, and
> > > somebody called me dude, so just to tease that dude, I said dude, but
> > > of course everyone reading it probably felt like I was calling them
> > > dude, see what I mean, dude?

> > I see that you like to intentionally insult people. For me you sound as
> > if you are doing too much weed. Both will definitely limit your academic
> > career.

> Dude isn't insulting.
>

> > /Thomas
> > --
> > The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
> > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/faqs/faqs-hie...lang.java.gui/
> > ftp://ftp.cs.uu.nl/pub/NEWS.ANSWERS/...g/java/gui/faq

Way, dude.

BillJosephson

> > My personal recommendation is to use jEdit (www.jedit.org), since it a
> > superb text editor (leaving NetBeans and Eclipse far behind in as far
> > as the editor components go), and is extensible with a host of standard
> > plugins and macros. The only plugin you will want to start with is the
> > Console plugin, which will let you write Java program in the editor,
> > and compile and run them in the integrated console without having to
> > manually type in the commands each time.
> >
> > In addition, jEdits console plugin comes with a Beanshell interpreter,
> > which is great for testing out snippets of Java code to see what it
> > does without the full compile - run cycle.

Oops, I should have said, I'm trying jEdit now. But, I need an IDE and
it's just an editor. The plugins look like I can make an IDE out of it
but I keep getting "error I/O can not connect" or something like that.
Is there a quick fix? Also what minimum plugins will give me an IDE
with debugger, compiler, and code editor, so I can step through code
and look at data structure contents?

Thanks....

Danno

crazzybugger wrote:
> Dudes.........
> you are missing the point!!! netbeans is no way considered
> to be user friendly. JCreator is an excellent editor for
> beginners.........(but its windows based ) . Anyway Eclipse is the
> best of the best of the best . you cant beat this IDE . really once you
> get to know what is a workspace and what is a package.........you are
> on cloud 9 with eclipse....Besides it looks so much better on linux
> than netbeans !!!
> either go for JCreator or eclipse .Dont bother yourself with netbeans.
> Netbeans (i use it for just the matissa thing which rocks! )

Dude, you're high.

Eclipse blows chunks. NetBeans was ascended to heaven once cause God
needed to fix the strength of hurricane cycles from last year. He
needed a powerful Java IDE to do so, he chose NetBeans, and of course
it rocked because he liked the ant integration.

Kidding aside, NetBeans looks real good on Linux too. I just plug in
my greatest font into the java runtime and zammo, something real nice.

Here is my screenshot:
http://www.evolutionnext.com/blog/im...eans-large.png

NetBeans 5.5 is out and comes with awesome features.

Hey, does Eclipse has subversion plugins?

BillJosephson

Danno wrote:
> crazzybugger wrote:
> > Dudes.........
> > you are missing the point!!! netbeans is no way considered
> > to be user friendly. JCreator is an excellent editor for
> > beginners.........(but its windows based ) . Anyway Eclipse is the
> > best of the best of the best . you cant beat this IDE . really once you
> > get to know what is a workspace and what is a package.........you are
> > on cloud 9 with eclipse....Besides it looks so much better on linux
> > than netbeans !!!
> > either go for JCreator or eclipse .Dont bother yourself with netbeans.
> > Netbeans (i use it for just the matissa thing which rocks! )

> Dude, you're high.
>
> Eclipse blows chunks. NetBeans was ascended to heaven once cause God
> needed to fix the strength of hurricane cycles from last year. He
> needed a powerful Java IDE to do so, he chose NetBeans, and of course
> it rocked because he liked the ant integration.
>
> Kidding aside, NetBeans looks real good on Linux too. I just plug in
> my greatest font into the java runtime and zammo, something real nice.
>
> Here is my screenshot:
> http://www.evolutionnext.com/blog/im...eans-large.png
>
> NetBeans 5.5 is out and comes with awesome features.
>
> Hey, does Eclipse has subversion plugins?

That looks excellent, and like something I could intuitively use right
away. But when I downloaded it and started it, it looked nothing like
that at all. Is the a quick path to getting NetBeans like you have it?

Thanks much....

crazzybugger

Danno wrote:
> crazzybugger wrote:
> > Dudes.........
> > you are missing the point!!! netbeans is no way considered
> > to be user friendly. JCreator is an excellent editor for
> > beginners.........(but its windows based ) . Anyway Eclipse is the
> > best of the best of the best . you cant beat this IDE . really once you
> > get to know what is a workspace and what is a package.........you are
> > on cloud 9 with eclipse....Besides it looks so much better on linux
> > than netbeans !!!
> > either go for JCreator or eclipse .Dont bother yourself with netbeans.
> > Netbeans (i use it for just the matissa thing which rocks! )

> Dude, you're high.
>
> Eclipse blows chunks. NetBeans was ascended to heaven once cause God
> needed to fix the strength of hurricane cycles from last year. He
> needed a powerful Java IDE to do so, he chose NetBeans, and of course
> it rocked because he liked the ant integration.
>
> Kidding aside, NetBeans looks real good on Linux too. I just plug in
> my greatest font into the java runtime and zammo, something real nice.
>
> Here is my screenshot:
> http://www.evolutionnext.com/blog/im...eans-large.png
>
> NetBeans 5.5 is out and comes with awesome features.
>
> Hey, does Eclipse has subversion plugins?

Dude, I think you need to consult an eye doctor ....Netbeans hurts my
eyes on linux .....
Eclipse rocks . Here are some screen shots to support my view .

Netbeans : http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myeyesvn4.jpg ( Even
after selecting anti-aliasing option!!! )

Eclipse :http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4026/godsr2.jpg

By the way i think you should atleast have the courage to agree that
netbeans is slower than eclipse and it is buggy. I suppose you have
never used plug ins in eclipse. Eclipse look rocks both on windows and
linux .
I prefer eclipse 1000 times over Netbeans except
for Matissa which i agree rocks!!! so you see i am not a
"Anti-Netbeans" radical nor an "Eclipse-High" guy but i like things
according to the features and Eclipse clearly is the winner for me! i
do not enforce my view on anyone neither was this my intention .
Even the simplest feature like generating getters and setters is not
easily accessible in netbeans . you have to click within the class body
and press ctrl+space to get the list (for which you have to wait some
time , then you waste more time by searching for your option )
The list goes on and on!!! This has been argued over and over
again on the net and there is no end to it. I end this by saying that
taste matters mostly !!!

Danno

crazzybugger wrote:
> Danno wrote:
> > crazzybugger wrote:
> > > Dudes.........
> > > you are missing the point!!! netbeans is no way considered
> > > to be user friendly. JCreator is an excellent editor for
> > > beginners.........(but its windows based ) . Anyway Eclipse is the
> > > best of the best of the best . you cant beat this IDE . really once you
> > > get to know what is a workspace and what is a package.........you are
> > > on cloud 9 with eclipse....Besides it looks so much better on linux
> > > than netbeans !!!
> > > either go for JCreator or eclipse .Dont bother yourself with netbeans.
> > > Netbeans (i use it for just the matissa thing which rocks! )

> > Dude, you're high.
> >
> > Eclipse blows chunks. NetBeans was ascended to heaven once cause God
> > needed to fix the strength of hurricane cycles from last year. He
> > needed a powerful Java IDE to do so, he chose NetBeans, and of course
> > it rocked because he liked the ant integration.
> >
> > Kidding aside, NetBeans looks real good on Linux too. I just plug in
> > my greatest font into the java runtime and zammo, something real nice.
> >
> > Here is my screenshot:
> > http://www.evolutionnext.com/blog/im...eans-large.png
> >
> > NetBeans 5.5 is out and comes with awesome features.
> >
> > Hey, does Eclipse has subversion plugins?

> Dude, I think you need to consult an eye doctor ....Netbeans hurts my
> eyes on linux .....
> Eclipse rocks . Here are some screen shots to support my view .
>
> Netbeans : http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myeyesvn4.jpg ( Even
> after selecting anti-aliasing option!!! )
>
> Eclipse :http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4026/godsr2.jpg

I am not going to take anyone who doesn't use monospaced fonts
seriously.

> By the way i think you should atleast have the courage to agree that
> netbeans is slower than eclipse and it is buggy. I suppose you have
> never used plug ins in eclipse. Eclipse look rocks both on windows and
> linux .

netbeans isn't slower, and it is not buggy.

> I prefer eclipse 1000 times over Netbeans except
> for Matissa which i agree rocks!!! so you see i am not a
> "Anti-Netbeans" radical nor an "Eclipse-High" guy but i like things
> according to the features and Eclipse clearly is the winner for me! i
> do not enforce my view on anyone neither was this my intention .
> Even the simplest feature like generating getters and setters is not
> easily accessible in netbeans .

You can just go to BeanPatterns -> Add Property and be done with it.