Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JPEG image quality loss when rendering in Swing Components

JPEG image quality loss when rendering in Swing Components

Biswa Prakash

Will there be loss of quality(resolution / sharpness etc) of any jpeg
image when I am rendering the image in JLabel and displaying it over a
JPanel ?
Is there be any difference in quality when the image is rendered in a
web browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox) compared to rendering
the image in Java Swing Components ?
If there is a difference in image quality, how can I measure it, are
there any tools or should I write a routine?

Andrew Thompson

Biswa Prakash wrote:
> Will there be loss of quality(resolution / sharpness etc) of any jpeg
> image when I am rendering the image in JLabel and displaying it over a
> JPanel ?

What did your (visual) tests indicate?
Does any one look better than any of the others?

> Is there be any difference in quality when the image is rendered in a
> web browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox) compared to rendering
> the image in Java Swing Components ?

Probably not, given IE will offer to 'resize' any image
it loads directly, and what resizing algorithm it uses
is anybody's guess.

But we come back to. What did *your* tests show?

> If there is a difference in image quality, how can I measure it,

Possibly subracting ione image from the other might
highlight differences. Get a Robot to get a screengrab
of the image(s) in the various UI's of interest. Line up
the relevant parts of the image and do a... (what is it)
AlphaComposite filter that is (gets very vague)..right
for subtracting one image from another.

>...are there any tools or should I write a routine?

Probably 'b' write a routine - I doubt you'll find any tools.

Andrew T.

Biswa Prakash

Thanks for the response. As far as visual test is concerned, I didn't
see any difference. I agree IE resizes the images, but my application
will not resize images, so this scenario is out of question.

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Biswa Prakash wrote:
> > Will there be loss of quality(resolution / sharpness etc) of any jpeg
> > image when I am rendering the image in JLabel and displaying it over a
> > JPanel ?

> What did your (visual) tests indicate?
> Does any one look better than any of the others?
>
> > Is there be any difference in quality when the image is rendered in a
> > web browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox) compared to rendering
> > the image in Java Swing Components ?

> Probably not, given IE will offer to 'resize' any image
> it loads directly, and what resizing algorithm it uses
> is anybody's guess.
>
> But we come back to. What did *your* tests show?
>
> > If there is a difference in image quality, how can I measure it,

> Possibly subracting ione image from the other might
> highlight differences. Get a Robot to get a screengrab
> of the image(s) in the various UI's of interest. Line up
> the relevant parts of the image and do a... (what is it)
> AlphaComposite filter that is (gets very vague)..right
> for subtracting one image from another.
>
> >...are there any tools or should I write a routine?

> Probably 'b' write a routine - I doubt you'll find any tools.
>
> Andrew T.

HTML rendering in Swing components Yar Java 2 08-03-2006 09:14 PM
JPEG quality loss k0m0r Java 4 07-17-2006 04:41 PM
Swing Model Classes Updating Swing Components on a Thread Other Than AWT mkrause Java 0 05-06-2005 04:32 PM
SWING components adjustment in different resolutions - Should show scrollbars less than 800X600 and expand components over this resolution Bluetears76 Java 1 07-01-2004 09:01 PM
JPEG Questions: Loss In Quality When "Saving" Xtx99 Digital Photography 14 04-13-2004 03:09 PM

Advertisments