Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Getting user Locale settings?

Getting user Locale settings?

andrejohn.mas@gmail.com

On MacOS X, Windows XP and other modern operating system the user can
specify the regional settings ( in International System Preferences on
MacOS X and Regional Control Panel on Windows XP). While in many cases
users will choose the region and stick with that, others will takeit
and then customise things like date format, time format, etc. For
example I choose Canada (en_CA), but would rather have my date format
be yyyy-MM-dd and my time format be HH:mm:ss.

What I am wanting to do from Java is get the settings the users
specified for their environment. I don't believe that the application
should need to ask the user respecify these settings. The closed I
found was Locale.getDefault(), but it doesn't recognise customisations
the user might have done for the environment. Since that doesn't seem
to do the job I would be curious to know if there is an alternative
solution, without having to revert to specifics.