Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > mysql question

mysql question

Justin

off subject, however, this is an intelligent group and I am sure
someone can answer my question. I've been scouring the internet, and
cannot find an answer. I have a MySQL database that I've created. I
have a bunch of tables that are all have one-to-many relationships.

>From my access experience, when you relate two tables, you create an

autolookup column in the child table of a one-to-many relationship. Do
you do something similar in sql? If so, what would this command look
like?

Thanks

Gordon Beaton

On 13 Oct 2006 18:26:12 -0700, Justin wrote:
> off subject, however, this is an intelligent group and I am sure
> someone can answer my question. I've been scouring the internet, and
> cannot find an answer.

While scouring the internet, did it never occur to you that there
might be newsgroups where this *isn't* off topic?

http://groups.google.com/ and http://dir.gmane.org/ both have boxes
where you can search for appropriate groups.

/gordon

Furious George

Justin wrote:
> off subject, however, this is an intelligent group and I am sure
> someone can answer my question. I've been scouring the internet, and
> cannot find an answer. I have a MySQL database that I've created. I
> have a bunch of tables that are all have one-to-many relationships.
>
> >From my access experience, when you relate two tables, you create an

> autolookup column in the child table of a one-to-many relationship. Do
> you do something similar in sql? If so, what would this command look
> like?

This is a foreign key constraint. You can find it in the MySQL
documentation.

> Thanks

Justin

Indeed it did. However those groups dont have a lot of activity, and I
am very impatient.

Gordon Beaton wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2006 18:26:12 -0700, Justin wrote:
> > off subject, however, this is an intelligent group and I am sure
> > someone can answer my question. I've been scouring the internet, and
> > cannot find an answer.

> While scouring the internet, did it never occur to you that there
> might be newsgroups where this *isn't* off topic?
>
> http://groups.google.com/ and http://dir.gmane.org/ both have boxes
> where you can search for appropriate groups.
>
> /gordon
>
> --
> [ don't email me support questions or followups ]

Andrew Thompson

Justin wrote:
> Indeed it did. However those groups dont have a lot of activity, and I
> am very impatient.

That is a very poor imitation of a troll.
Please apply more effort in future.

Andrew T.

Justin

i am no troll. i take offense to that.

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Justin wrote:
> > Indeed it did. However those groups dont have a lot of activity, and I
> > am very impatient.

> That is a very poor imitation of a troll.
> Please apply more effort in future.
>
> Andrew T.

Jeffrey Schwab

Justin wrote:
> i am no troll. i take offense to that.
>

> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> Indeed it did. However those groups dont have a lot of activity, and I
>>> am very impatient.

>> That is a very poor imitation of a troll.
>> Please apply more effort in future.
>>
>> Andrew T.

Much better. That's the spirit!

Rhino

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Indeed it did. However those groups dont have a lot of activity, and I
> am very impatient.

Is that a synonym for "too lazy to post a question on an appropriate forum
and actually wait for an answer"?

For your information, the general MySQL forum is quite active; as a
subscriber, I see dozens of posts a day on a normal day.

--
Rhino