Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Multithreading - Problem with notifyAll() and wait()

Reply
Thread Tools

Multithreading - Problem with notifyAll() and wait()

 
 
Vera
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2006
I have a program which has 2 threads: producer and consumer. Producer
sleeps, wakes up and outputs how long it slept and what time it woke
up. That info is passed to a vector. Consumer then gets that info from
the vector and prints it out. Well, at least that's what it should do.

Right now it gives me a runtime error because it doesn't like the
NotifyAll() and wait() statements (producer notifies and consumer
waits). It gives me an IllegalMonitorStateException for both - notify
and wait, saying that "current thread is not the owner."

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this? I really have no idea.

// Import libraries
import java.util.Random;
import java.text.DateFormat;
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
import java.text.ParseException;
import java.util.Date;
import java.util.Vector;

public class Assignment3b
{
private Queue queue = new Queue();
Vector vectorQueue = new Vector();
String eventInfo;

// Create threads:
private ProducerThread producer = new ProducerThread();
private ConsumerThread consumer = new ConsumerThread();


/** Main method */
public static void main(String[] args)
{
new Assignment3b();
}

public Assignment3b()
{
// Start threads
producer.start();
consumer.start();

}/* End Main method */


/** Method to get time of an event */
public String getTimeOfEvent()
{
// Make a new Date object, which will be initialized to the
current time
Date now = new Date();

// This will output the hour (0-12), minutes, seconds,
milliseconds,
// and the am/pm marker.
SimpleDateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat("hh:mm:ss:SS
a");

String outputTime = format.format(now);

return outputTime;
} /* End of getTimeOfEvent method */


/***********Producer Thread *****************/
class ProducerThread extends Thread
{
int sleepTime;
String wakeTime;

public void run()
{
while(true)
{
// Interrupt Consumer thread
consumer.interrupt();

// Loop Producer thread 10 times
for (int count = 0; count < 10; count++)
{
// Generate random number between 10 and
2000
sleepTime = (int)(2000.0 * Math.random()) +
10;

// Put the thread to sleep for a random
// amount of milliseconds
try
{
Thread.sleep(sleepTime);
}

catch(InterruptedException ex)
{
ex.printStackTrace();
}

// Save the time when producer woke up
wakeTime = getTimeOfEvent();

// Store both times into a variable
eventInfo = "nProducer slept for " +
sleepTime +
" milliseconds, and woke up at "
+ wakeTime;

// Store the event information in the
vector
queue.storeEventInfo(eventInfo);

// Wake up the consumer thread
notifyAll();
}
}
}
}


/*********** Consumer Thread *************/
class ConsumerThread extends Thread
{
public void run()
{
try
{
// Make the thread wait while the queue is
empty
while(vectorQueue.isEmpty())
{
wait();
}
}

catch(InterruptedException ex)
{
ex.printStackTrace();
}

// Output the event information produced by Producer
thread
while(true)
{
for(int count = 0; count < vectorQueue.size();
count++)
{

System.out.println(vectorQueue.elementAt(count));
}
}
}
}


/*********** Inner class for queue *************/
class Queue
{
public String getEventInfo()
{
return eventInfo;
}

public synchronized void storeEventInfo(String event)
{
eventInfo = event;

// Add new event to the queue
vectorQueue.addElement(eventInfo);

// Notify other threads
notifyAll();
}
}
}

Please help

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hiwa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2006
(1)wait and notify should be called in synchronized blocks or methods.
(2)The object on which synchronization is done should be one single
same object for the wait/notify pair. Otherwise you will get an
IllegalMonitorStateException.
(3)wait should be called in a while loop that tests the desired
condition which should be changed by one of notifying threads.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dan Andrews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2006
Vera wrote:
> Right now it gives me a runtime error because it doesn't like the
> NotifyAll() and wait() statements (producer notifies and consumer
> waits). It gives me an IllegalMonitorStateException for both - notify
> and wait, saying that "current thread is not the owner."



Hi Vera,

You need to own the monitor (i.e. synchronize on something see below).
In many cases the monitor is "this" but in your case you could use
"Assignment3b.this" or create a new object in Assignment3b like "private
Object lock = new Object()". You could replace lock in the code below
with some other common object to synchronize on (i.e. replace lock with
producer) and save the needless creation of another object called lock.
The key here is you need a **common** object to synchronize on.
Personally, my preference is to create the lock private variable and
then when I see the word lock in my code it helps me with readability.


synchronized(lock){
while(...){
...
lock.notify();
...
}
}
.....

synchronized(lock){
while(...){
...
lock.wait();
...
}
}

Cheers,

Dan Andrews
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ansir Development Limited http://www.ansir.ca
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan Andrews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2006
Hi Vera,

I've also found you a good link that helps explain what is going on in a
11 step summary. Good luck on your assignment!

http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=98786


Cheers,

Dan Andrews
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ansir Development Limited http://www.ansir.ca
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Reply With Quote
 
Vera
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2006
Thank you guys, I'll check it out. I got the error to go away but I
have another problem that's not related with the threads. But thank you
so much for your help!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
blmblm@myrealbox.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
Vera <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a program which has 2 threads: producer and consumer. Producer
> sleeps, wakes up and outputs how long it slept and what time it woke
> up. That info is passed to a vector. Consumer then gets that info from
> the vector and prints it out. Well, at least that's what it should do.
>
> Right now it gives me a runtime error because it doesn't like the
> NotifyAll() and wait() statements (producer notifies and consumer
> waits). It gives me an IllegalMonitorStateException for both - notify
> and wait, saying that "current thread is not the owner."



Others have answered this question for you, but there some other
things that seem not quite right to me:


> Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this? I really have no idea.
>
> // Import libraries
> import java.util.Random;
> import java.text.DateFormat;
> import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
> import java.text.ParseException;
> import java.util.Date;
> import java.util.Vector;
>
> public class Assignment3b
> {
> private Queue queue = new Queue();
> Vector vectorQueue = new Vector();



Why do you want both of these as instance variables? it seems a
little odd to have your producer thread access vectorQueue indirectly
(by way of your Queue class) while your consumer thread accesses
it directly. Is there something I'm not getting?


> String eventInfo;



Why is this an instance variable? I don't quite understand, either,
how you're using this variable -- it seems a little confused,
and not thread-safe. Again maybe there's something I'm not getting?


>
> // Create threads:
> private ProducerThread producer = new ProducerThread();
> private ConsumerThread consumer = new ConsumerThread();



Rather than making ProducerThread and ConsumerThread subclasses
of Thread, you could have them implement Runnable (maybe renaming
them Producer and Consumer) and write (untested):

private ProducerThread producer = new Thread(new Producer());
private ConsumerThread producer = new Thread(new Consumer());

This might be slightly better style. It's a nitpick, maybe.


> /** Main method */
> public static void main(String[] args)
> {
> new Assignment3b();
> }
>
> public Assignment3b()
> {
> // Start threads
> producer.start();
> consumer.start();
>
> }/* End Main method */
>
>
> /** Method to get time of an event */
> public String getTimeOfEvent()
> {
> // Make a new Date object, which will be initialized to the
> current time
> Date now = new Date();
>
> // This will output the hour (0-12), minutes, seconds,
> milliseconds,
> // and the am/pm marker.
> SimpleDateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat("hh:mm:ss:SS
> a");
>
> String outputTime = format.format(now);
>
> return outputTime;
> } /* End of getTimeOfEvent method */
>
>
> /***********Producer Thread *****************/
> class ProducerThread extends Thread
> {
> int sleepTime;
> String wakeTime;
>
> public void run()
> {
> while(true)
> {
> // Interrupt Consumer thread
> consumer.interrupt();



Why are you doing this? as far as I can tell, you're ignoring
interrupts in your consumer thread. ??


> // Loop Producer thread 10 times
> for (int count = 0; count < 10; count++)
> {
> // Generate random number between 10 and
> 2000
> sleepTime = (int)(2000.0 * Math.random()) +
> 10;
>
> // Put the thread to sleep for a random
> // amount of milliseconds
> try
> {
> Thread.sleep(sleepTime);
> }
>
> catch(InterruptedException ex)
> {
> ex.printStackTrace();
> }
>
> // Save the time when producer woke up
> wakeTime = getTimeOfEvent();
>
> // Store both times into a variable
> eventInfo = "nProducer slept for " +
> sleepTime +
> " milliseconds, and woke up at "
> + wakeTime;
>
> // Store the event information in the
> vector
> queue.storeEventInfo(eventInfo);
>
> // Wake up the consumer thread
> notifyAll();
> }
> }
> }
> }
>
>
> /*********** Consumer Thread *************/
> class ConsumerThread extends Thread
> {
> public void run()
> {
> try
> {
> // Make the thread wait while the queue is
> empty
> while(vectorQueue.isEmpty())
> {
> wait();
> }
> }
>
> catch(InterruptedException ex)
> {
> ex.printStackTrace();
> }
>
> // Output the event information produced by Producer
> thread
> while(true)
> {
> for(int count = 0; count < vectorQueue.size();
> count++)
> {
>
> System.out.println(vectorQueue.elementAt(count));
> }
> }
> }
> }



This also seems a little confused .... Initially you wait until the
first element shows up in vectorQueue, but then you start an "infinite"
loop to repeatedly print all the elements in vectorQueue? shouldn't
you be removing elements as you print them? and wouldn't it make more
sense to wait repeatedly? something like this:

while (true) {
while (vectorQueue.isEmpty())
wait();
// remove element from vectorQueue and print
}


>
>
> /*********** Inner class for queue *************/
> class Queue
> {
> public String getEventInfo()
> {
> return eventInfo;
> }
>
> public synchronized void storeEventInfo(String event)
> {
> eventInfo = event;
>
> // Add new event to the queue
> vectorQueue.addElement(eventInfo);
>
> // Notify other threads
> notifyAll();
> }
> }
> }
>
> Please help
>



--
B. L. Massingill
ObDisclaimer: I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C++ Embedded Phython and multithreading problem santiageit Python 1 05-26-2010 12:41 PM
system() and `` problem in Multithreading Lee Youser Ruby 2 06-05-2008 07:58 PM
python and multithreading problem whatazor Python 1 01-26-2008 07:30 AM
problem with multithreading and Web services method invocation abhra.haldar@gmail.com ASP .Net 1 05-11-2006 04:21 PM
HttpModule multithreading and request and response corelation =?Utf-8?B?U2hhcGlybw==?= ASP .Net 7 12-08-2004 01:41 PM



Advertisments