Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

wireless doesnt logon to domain because it comes up late

Jim

Hi,

I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.

I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.

the laptop is joined to a domain.

only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
card.
so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
(event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).

works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.

has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Nick Domukhovsky

Jim :
> Hi,
>
> I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
> a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
>
> I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
>
> the laptop is joined to a domain.
>
> only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
> card.
> so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
> (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
>
> works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
>
> has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

You can try to set manual dependences between this services...

--
With best regards
Nickolay Domukhovsky, MCSA

Jim

now thats a crapy answer.

how is that done? with depends.exe?? that is a cluster of a utility and
I dont know how to use it correctly, and also one can get caught up
in chicken before the egg scenario easily in that. is there not a
policy that takes care of that? or a better way? I read a post
earlier where the guy was having nightmarish problems between
the machine and the user config..I surely do not need that problem
either. I am pretty sure it can be done. what needs to happen,
"exactly".

"Nick Domukhovsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Jim :
> Hi,
>
> I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
> a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
>
> I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
>
> the laptop is joined to a domain.
>
> only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
> card.
> so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
> (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
>
> works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
>
> has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

You can try to set manual dependences between this services...

--
With best regards
Nickolay Domukhovsky, MCSA

Cleve S.

Jim,

I have a domain with about 80 workstations. 8 of them are wireless, and the
wireless ones all do this. The only downside I've found is that Computer
Group Policies are not applied and I can't deploy software to the wireless
workstations. I don't have any Computer Group Policies other than software
deployment which I must do manually on the wireless workstations. Logon
scripts, User Group Policies, remote management, WSUS, everything else works
fine.

I realize this doesn't solve your problem, but maybe it will help you work
around it.

Cleve S.

news:CbednfTVfppScnjYnZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

> Hi,
>
> I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
> a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
>
> I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
>
> the laptop is joined to a domain.
>
> only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
> card.
> so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
> (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
>
> works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
>
> has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

James W. Long

Yep, its a real unsolved problem.

One would think that either the wireless (card) manufacturers would make
the (card) driver and hence tcpip come up BEFORE netlogon,
during the machine phase of boot up, like an Ethernet port does,
or that M$ would provide a policy to do so.

An implicit logon after the fact (on a wireless station) is no solution..
It's WAY WAY TOO late.

I would like ALL the WORLD who Boast wireless is so great to see this
problem.

and offer the working fix if they think they can...

I have been waiting for that fix for the entire time I've used these
cards....about 4 years...and no fix so far.
and Cleve- you are not the only one either. I was just emailed by Philippe
Clri [(E-Mail Removed)]
who has the exact same problem.

getting that domain logon is what's crucial.

James W. Long
Network Administrator.

"Cleve S." <admin@_spamless_tropicalchevrolet.net> wrote in message
news:OrNz%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim,
>
> I have a domain with about 80 workstations. 8 of them are wireless, and

the
> wireless ones all do this. The only downside I've found is that Computer
> Group Policies are not applied and I can't deploy software to the wireless
> workstations. I don't have any Computer Group Policies other than

software
> deployment which I must do manually on the wireless workstations. Logon
> scripts, User Group Policies, remote management, WSUS, everything else

works
> fine.
>
> I realize this doesn't solve your problem, but maybe it will help you work
> around it.
>
> Cleve S.
>
> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CbednfTVfppScnjYnZ2dnUVZ_viunZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and
> > a laptop with the matching pcmcia wireless card.
> >
> > I dont use the card utility from linksys. only the driver.
> >
> > the laptop is joined to a domain.
> >
> > only problem I have is netlogon happens before tcpip starts the wireless
> > card.
> > so it never logs onto the domain when it first starts.
> > (event id 5719 from Netlogon - no domain controller is available).
> >
> > works just fine if I use the ethernet port instead.
> >
> > has anyone seen that and is there a way to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Jim

gharmon1@kc.rr.com

Jim, had the same problem with our older notebooks. I bought an IBM
last month and it has a feature on it to enable a wireless connection
before login. Works like a champ.

Gary