Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Smartnet support

Smartnet support

Carl

Hi group

if you get Smartnet support for various Cisco products does this allow
you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different
major release)?

Thanks

Walter Roberson

In article <425e24cb$0$576$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Carl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:if you get Smartnet support for various Cisco products does this allow
:you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different
:major release)?

*Usually*. However, if the Smartnet part number starts with SAS
then you only gain the right to upgrade within minor releases
[and you also get no hardware support.] SAU is the part number
leader for software-only support that includes major upgrade
rights. CON is the part number leader for hardware and software
upgrades for most people. There is another part number leader
(S2P?) for Service Providers.

Beyond the above, you should know that if you do not already have
the latest IOS major release, then Cisco may require you to
purchase the upgrade before you can do a CON SmartNet agreement.

--
"Who Leads?" / "The men who must... driven men, compelled men."
"Freak men."

Carl

Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <425e24cb$0$576$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Carl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :if you get Smartnet support for various Cisco products does this allow
> :you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different
> :major release)?
>
> *Usually*. However, if the Smartnet part number starts with SAS
> then you only gain the right to upgrade within minor releases
> [and you also get no hardware support.] SAU is the part number
> leader for software-only support that includes major upgrade
> rights. CON is the part number leader for hardware and software
> upgrades for most people. There is another part number leader
> (S2P?) for Service Providers.
>
> Beyond the above, you should know that if you do not already have
> the latest IOS major release, then Cisco may require you to
> purchase the upgrade before you can do a CON SmartNet agreement.

Thanks Walter

so the following part number - CON-SW-PKG3-VS indicates hardware &
software upgrades (major releases) for Cisco products that fall in the
PKG3 catagory?

Regards

BradReeseCom

Hi Carl,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco SMARTnet Q & A:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800b7706.html

as well as the Cisco SMARTnet Pricing Calculator:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-smartnet.htm

and the Cisco SMARTnet Availability Tool:

http://tools.cisco.com/apidc/sam/search/search.do

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center
Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Website: http://www.BradReese.Com

Walter Roberson

In article <425e308b$0$42309$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Carl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:so the following part number - CON-SW-PKG3-VS indicates hardware &
:software upgrades (major releases) for Cisco products that fall in the
KG3 catagory?

Atch, I don't know the answer to that one. If I recall correctly,
the VS suffix is "Virtual Service", and Cisco was unable to
explain to me what virtual service and virtual packages were about.
Also, the PKG* part numbers are being phased out, replaced with
specific part numbers for each package (though the pricing might
still be level-based internally.)

I do not recall seeing a -SW- midfix before, so I'm not sure that
provides hardware support.

Cisco has literally several thousand smartnet part numbers,
and they change things around.
--
Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann