Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > IIS on Vista home premium?

IIS on Vista home premium?

Steven Spits

Hi,

Plannig to buy Vista, but not sure what version to get.

I do VS.NET development, mostly ASP.NET.

Can IIS be installed on Vista home premium? Or do I need business or
ultimate?

Steven

- - -

Andy Snook

Business or Ultimate I'm affraid

"Steven Spits" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Plannig to buy Vista, but not sure what version to get.
>
> I do VS.NET development, mostly ASP.NET.
>
> Can IIS be installed on Vista home premium? Or do I need business or
> ultimate?
>
> Steven
>
> - - -

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBIYXRmaWVsZA==?=

Andy is incorrect. You can indeed install IIS on Vista Home Premium by going
to the Programs and Features control panel, and selecting Add/Remove Windows
features link on the left side of the control panel window. When selecting
the features you want to install, be sure and select the ones that enable
ASP.NET stuff.

Cheers!
Stephen

"Andy Snook" wrote:

> Business or Ultimate I'm affraid
>
> "Steven Spits" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Plannig to buy Vista, but not sure what version to get.
> >
> > I do VS.NET development, mostly ASP.NET.
> >
> > Can IIS be installed on Vista home premium? Or do I need business or
> > ultimate?
> >
> > Steven
> >
> > - - -

Mark Rae

"Andy Snook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Business or Ultimate I'm affraid

Not true:

Robert Firth

It seems that a very limited version of IIS is on Home Premium. I doubt that
will satisfy your needs though.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"Andy Snook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Business or Ultimate I'm affraid
>
> "Steven Spits" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Plannig to buy Vista, but not sure what version to get.
>>
>> I do VS.NET development, mostly ASP.NET.
>>
>> Can IIS be installed on Vista home premium? Or do I need business or
>> ultimate?
>>
>> Steven
>>
>> - - -

Juan T. Llibre

Not so.

IIS 7.0 can be installed, complete, on Home Premium.

Use this script to install every last bit which IIS 7.0 offers :

start /w pkgmgr
/iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ASP;IIS-CGI;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-Security;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-WMICompatibility;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;WAS-WindowsActivationService;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ConfigurationAPI

See:

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Robert Firth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems that a very limited version of IIS is on Home Premium. I doubt that will satisfy your
> needs though.
>
> --
> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Robert Firth *
> * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
> * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
>
> "Andy Snook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Business or Ultimate I'm affraid
>>
>> "Steven Spits" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Plannig to buy Vista, but not sure what version to get.
>>>
>>> I do VS.NET development, mostly ASP.NET.
>>>
>>> Can IIS be installed on Vista home premium? Or do I need business or ultimate?
>>>
>>> Steven
>>>
>>> - - -

Andy Snook

I stand corrected and learnt something new, I do apoligize.

"Stephen Hatfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andy is incorrect. You can indeed install IIS on Vista Home Premium by
> going
> to the Programs and Features control panel, and selecting Add/Remove
> Windows
> features link on the left side of the control panel window. When selecting
> the features you want to install, be sure and select the ones that enable
> ASP.NET stuff.
>
> Cheers!
> Stephen
>
> "Andy Snook" wrote:
>
>> Business or Ultimate I'm affraid
>>
>> "Steven Spits" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Plannig to buy Vista, but not sure what version to get.
>> >
>> > I do VS.NET development, mostly ASP.NET.
>> >
>> > Can IIS be installed on Vista home premium? Or do I need business or
>> > ultimate?
>> >
>> > Steven
>> >
>> > - - -

Ray

Yup and from I found out, it's even on the Home Basic,
the only difference between versions being the number
of concurrent connections allowed, from about 3 to 10.

That's good news for application compatibility , 3-5 years
down the road!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not so.
>
> IIS 7.0 can be installed, complete, on Home Premium.
>
> Use this script to install every last bit which IIS 7.0 offers :
>
> start /w pkgmgr

/iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-StaticContent;IIS
-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-Appli
cationDevelopment;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ASP;IIS-CGI;IIS-ISAPIExt
ensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-Http
Logging;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-CustomLoggin
g;IIS-Security;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-RequestFiltering
;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpCompressionDyn
amic;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingT
ools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-WMIC
ompatibility;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;WAS-WindowsActivationService;WAS
-ProcessModel;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ConfigurationAPI

> See:

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "Robert Firth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It seems that a very limited version of IIS is on Home Premium. I doubt that

will satisfy your
> > needs though.
> >
> > --
> > /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > * Robert Firth *
> > * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
> > * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
> >
> > "Andy Snook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Business or Ultimate I'm affraid
> >>
> >> "Steven Spits" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ultimate?

Steven Spits

"Juan T. Llibre" wrote:

> IIS 7.0 can be installed, complete, on Home Premium.

First of all, thanks to all who responded.

> Use this script to install every last bit which IIS 7.0 offers :

Are you very sure of this? A found one (and only one!) message from a guy
who tried to do ASP.NET development on his Vista home premium machine, and
he succesfully installed IIS. So far so good.

However, debugging was not possible. Vista home premium apparently does not
support Windows authentication, needed to debug an ASP.NET application from
within VS.NET.

Can anyone confirm this IS or ISN'T possible??

With kind regards,

Steven

- - -

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> Are you very sure of this?

The original question was whether IIS could be *installed* on Vista Home Premium.
IIS, and all of its features, *can* be installed.

Some features may, or may not, work in specific OS's, though.

If you aim to develop web applications which require Windows Authentication (WA),
given that Home Premium does not support WA, you should consider using
another OS which *does* support WA.

In your case, they would be the Vista Ultimate, Business, and/or Enterprise Editions.

In this page :
http://207.46.196.114/WindowsServer/....mspx?mfr=true
there's a handy feature comparison table for all versions of Vista.