Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem with state server on new development machine

Problem with state server on new development machine

B.E.S.

Moving to a new development machine. Am getting the following message when
trying to run applications that require the state server:

--------8<--------------

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please
ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and
server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please
ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.

--------8<--------------

The state server setting in web.config is set to the default
(127.0.0.1:42424). The service is running.

The event log contains this info:

--------8<--------------

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1074
Date: 2/22/2007
Time: 4:55:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: VGE030
An error occurred in while processing a request in state server. Major
callstack: ProcessCompletion-->ProcessReading. Error code: 0x80070057

--------8<--------------

I've spent some time searching this out, but the few people who've gotten
this error (event ID 1074) never seem to get a resolution.

What is causing the problem and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,
Bryan

Alexey Smirnov

On Feb 22, 10:58 pm, "B.E.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Moving to a new development machine. Am getting the following message when
> trying to run applications that require the state server:
>
> --------8<--------------
>
> Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please
> ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and
> server ports are the same. If the server is on a remote machine, please
> ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\aspnet_state\Parameter*s\AllowRemoteConnection.
>
> --------8<--------------
>
> The state server setting in web.config is set to the default
> (127.0.0.1:42424). The service is running.
>
> The event log contains this info:
>
> --------8<--------------
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1074
> Date: 2/22/2007
> Time: 4:55:35 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: VGE030
> An error occurred in while processing a request in state server. Major
> callstack: ProcessCompletion-->ProcessReading. Error code: 0x80070057
>
> For more information, see Help and Support Center athttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>
> --------8<--------------
>
> I've spent some time searching this out, but the few people who've gotten
> this error (event ID 1074) never seem to get a resolution.
>
> What is causing the problem and what can I do to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Bryan, I see some threads regaring the permissions issue with ASPNET
user

Could it be your problem?

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c001321999f532

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Bryan,

Here's my understanding of the issue so far:

1) You're using ASP.NET 2.0
2) You've setup a new development machine and want to use a local state
server as session state store
3) You encountered error when using the state server. Event ID 1074 and
error 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG) is logged.

Please help me on following points:

1) Does this issue occur every time or just occasionally?
2) Do you have a space in your application name or path?
3) What's the os and service pack?
4) Is the state server listening correctly? (Try to use telnet localhost
42424 to verify)

I'll follow-up again after you give me above information. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

B.E.S.

Walter,

To clarify: I'm using ASP.NET 1.0 (framework version 1.1.4322)

In answer to your question:

1) The issue happens every time.
2) No, the name of the project has no space. The problem occurs in ALL
projects.
3) Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2
4) The state server is listening. I am able to telnet to localhost on port
42424

Thanks,
Bryan

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bryan,
>
> Here's my understanding of the issue so far:
>
> 1) You're using ASP.NET 2.0
> 2) You've setup a new development machine and want to use a local state
> server as session state store
> 3) You encountered error when using the state server. Event ID 1074 and
> error 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG) is logged.
>
> Please help me on following points:
>
> 1) Does this issue occur every time or just occasionally?
> 2) Do you have a space in your application name or path?
> 3) What's the os and service pack?
> 4) Is the state server listening correctly? (Try to use telnet localhost
> 42424 to verify)
>
> I'll follow-up again after you give me above information. Thanks.
>

> Sincerely,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the
> check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your
> reply
> promptly.

> rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Bryan,

From the event source in your first message:

Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0

It seems to me that the site is running under ASP.NET 2.0. Would you please
check it by using IIS Manager?

If you're running both ASP.NET 2.0 and 1.1 web sites on the same server,
make sure you configure them to run in separate AppPool.

The 2.0 state service should be usable by 1.1 web app, as described here:

#ASP.NET Side-by-Side Overview
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...y5(VS.80).aspx

Please try to re-register the script map of your web application by running:

aspnet_regiis -s W3SVC/1/ROOT/SampleApp1

Since you're using ASP.NET 1.1, make sure you use the aspnet_regiis.exe in
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Bryan,

If you see this message, would you please reply here to let me know the
status of this post? Thanks.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Bryan Slatner

Walter,

My apologies. I had to disappear for a while because my wife had a baby

I will look at what you said in your previous message (about running 2.0 and
1.1 side-by-side) and get back with you today.

Thanks,
Bryan

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bryan,
>
> If you see this message, would you please reply here to let me know the
> status of this post? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> rights.

Bryan Slatner

Walter,

I'm still getting the issue. I read through the MSDN article you posted, but
didn't really see anything that would help. I tried:

1) running aspnet_iis -i from c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
2) running aspnet_iis -s W3SVC/1/ROOT/Verizon ("Verizon" being the name of
my application)
3) running aspnet_iis -u from c;\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

I get the error no matter what I do.

Note that this is running on Windows XP. In a previous post, you mentioned
something about making sure v1.1 apps run in one app pool and v2.0 apps run
in another app pool. We do this on our production server, but on my
development Windows XP machine, there are no app pools available in IIS.

Thanks,
Bryan

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bryan,
>
> If you see this message, would you please reply here to let me know the
> status of this post? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> rights.

Bryan Slatner

Incidentally, setting the sesssionState mode to "InProc" or "SQLServer"
works like a charm. Only "StateServer" has a problem. I don't know if that's
relevant or not.

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Bryan,
>
> If you see this message, would you please reply here to let me know the
> status of this post? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Bryan,

Congratulations!

Thank you for letting me know the test result regarding the aspnet_regiis.
Yes the apppool is not available in IIS 5.x, my previous reply regarding
using separate AppPool can be ignored here.

I've done some further searching in our internal support database, sorry I
cannot find more possible causes. This should be environment specific issue.

If it's possible to use SqlServer during your development, I recommend to
stick with it on this particular Windows XP dev box. If you want to find
the root cause, I'm afraid you will have to contact Microsoft Customer
Support and Service, which can use live debugging or dump analysis to best
troubleshoot such issue. This is unfortunately not possible for newsgroup
support.

Please feel free to let me know if there's anything I can help.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support