Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Strange ARP behaviour/storm from IOS 12.3(11)T3

Strange ARP behaviour/storm from IOS 12.3(11)T3

wa6zvp@gmail.com

We have a border router, a 7206VXR running 12.3(11)T3 which gateways
our entire class B network into a local area network feeding 10
interior
routers. OSPF is used internally, and the gateway router is seeing all
of
the appropriate next-hops.

The gateway router has decided that it needs to maintain, and regularly
ARP
for the entire class B on the interior network. They are not
'broadcast'
ARP's, but rather, directed at the appropriate next-hop ethernet
address.

The gateway router has been running this release for about 3 weeks. I
can't
say for sure, but I believe this behavior just started this weekend.
If it
had started earlier, it surely would have been noticed, since it does
disrupt
the monitoring of our internal wireless lan when the ARP storm hits
that
network every 3 minutes. There have been no significant changes to
this
router (except for the OS upgrade) in over a year.

Note that this is a continuous action, not sporadic due to some outside
scan.

Anyone have an idea what may be causing this, or what I can do to stop
it?

Roger

Arp or Proxy Arp Darren Green Cisco 0 02-20-2009 09:38 PM
instructions on how to perform an IOS upgrade on a Catalyst 6500 switch (IOS to IOS) Mike Rahl Cisco 1 05-30-2007 05:22 PM
"ip addr dhcp" is not available for my IOS release, who has latest IOS for 2514 and 2509? Ed Kideys, Tech-Train Cisco 3 04-30-2004 07:51 PM
IOS to IOS VPN Problem Evan Mann Cisco 0 02-11-2004 04:42 PM

Advertisments