Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem with javascript file in ASP

Problem with javascript file in ASP

verci

Hi guys, sorry if this seems stupid but I'm a newbie, I'm running Windows XP
Pro SP2, IE 7, VS2005, ASP.net 2.0

The problem is that I'm trying to display this news scroller made in a
Javascript file(newsscroller.js) in my ASP page, everything works great in a
normal HTML page, I can see the scroller just fine, but in an ASP page it
just does not show, I get some error message that the control has not been
initialize, so far I've been stuck for 2 days and just about given up on
this and just use a plain HTML page for this script, can anyone help me find
out what's wrong? Below you will find my ASP page and the java script file.

Regards

************* My ASP page *************

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default2.aspx.vb"
Inherits="Default2" %>

<head runat="server">

<title>Untitled Page</title>

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
src="JS/newsscroller.js" />

</head>

<script type="text/javascript">

var scrollerMain = new NewsScroller("main");

</script>

onmouseover="javascript:scrollerMain.StopScrolling ();"

onmouseout="javascript:scrollerMain.StartScrolling ();">

<script type="text/javascript">

scrollerMain.Render("floatingNews");

</script>

<script type="text/javascript">

scrollerMain.LoadXML('http://localhost/news.xml');

</script>

<script type="text/javascript">

scrollerMain.StartScrolling ();

</script>

************* The js script ************
// title and copyright notice go here

// API
// These are the functions you will call to use the NewsScroller from your
web page

// NewsScroller_Initialize
// Parameters:
// elmDivForNews: object reference to a DIV element that will be used to
display the news
// Return:
// returns a NewsScroller object, with supporting properties and methods
function NewsScroller ()
{
if (window.NewsScrollerInstance != null)
{
window.alert("Only one NewsScroller control is allowed on a page.");
return;
}
window.NewsScrollerInstance = this;

this.LoadXML = NewsScroller_LoadXML;
this.AddNewsItem = NewsScroller_AddNewsItem;
this.Clear = NewsScroller_Clear;
this.StartScrolling = NewsScroller_StartScrolling;
this.StopScrolling = NewsScroller_StopScrolling;
this.Render = NewsScroller_Render;

// public properties
this.className = "";
this.itemNormalClassName = "";

this.scrollRate = 25;
this.scrollStep = 1;
this.scrollPause = 2000;

// internal use
this.RenderChildren = NewsScroller_RenderChildren;

this.renderedControl = "";
this.itemsText = new Array();
this.itemsLink = new Array();
this.itemCount = 0;

this.scrollEnabled = false;
}

function NewsScroller_LoadXML (sXmlID)
{
this.Clear();
var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
xmlDoc.async="false";
xmlDoc.load(sXmlID);
var xItems = xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName('item');
for (var iNode = 0; iNode < xItems.length; iNode++)
{
var xItem = xItems[iNode];
var xText = xItem.childNodes[0].text;
var xLink = xItem.childNodes[1].text;
this.AddNewsItem(xText, xLink);
} var elmControl = document.getElementById(this.renderedControl);
this.RenderChildren(this.renderedControl);
}

function NewsScroller_AddNewsItem (strText, strLink)
{
this.itemsText[this.itemCount] = strText;
this.itemsLink[this.itemCount] = strLink;
this.itemCount++;
}

function NewsScroller_Clear ()
{
this.StopScrolling ();
var elmControl = document.getElementById(this.renderedControl);
while (elmControl.childNodes.length > 0)
elmControl.removeChild(elmControl.childNodes[0]);
this.itemsText = new Array();
this.itemsLink = new Array();
this.itemCount = 0;
}

function NewsScroller_StartScrolling ()
{
if (this.itemCount > 0)
{
var sControlName = this.renderedControl;
if (sControlName == null)
{
window.alert ("You must render a control before you can start scrolling
it.");
return;
}
var elmControl = document.getElementById(sControlName);
var elmItem0 = document.getElementById("floatingNews0");
if (this.itemCount > 1)
{
var elmItem1 = document.getElementById(sControlName + "1");
this.cySeparator = (elmItem1.offsetTop - elmItem0.offsetTop) -
elmItem0.offsetHeight;
}
else
{
this.cySeparator = 0;
}

if (this.ScrollTimerID == null)
this.ScrollTimerID = window.setInterval(NewsScroller_ScrollNews,
this.scrollRate);
}
}

function NewsScroller_StopScrolling ()
{
window.clearInterval(this.ScrollTimerID);
this.ScrollTimerID = null;
}

function NewsScroller_Render(sControlID)
{
if (sControlID.length == 0)
{
window.alert("You must provide a unique ID for the rendered control.");
return;
}
var elmControl = document.getElementById(sControlID);
if (elmControl != null)
{
window.alert("A NewsScroller with this ID has already been rendered.
Please use a unique ID.");
return;
}
this.renderedControl = sControlID;

// <DIV>
document.write("<div");
document.write(" id=\"" + sControlID + "\"");
document.write(" class=\"" + this.className + "\"");
document.write(" style=\"position: relative; width: 100%; height: 100%;
\"");
document.write(">");

// </DIV>
document.write("</div>");

this.RenderChildren(sControlID);

var dtNow = new Date();
var dtResume = new Date(dtNow.getFullYear(), dtNow.getMonth(),
dtNow.getDate(), dtNow.getHours(), dtNow.getMinutes(), dtNow.getSeconds(),
this.scrollPause);
elmControl = document.getElementById(sControlID);
elmControl.ResumeDateTime = dtResume;
}

// Supporting functions
function NewsScroller_RenderChildren()
{
var sControlID = this.renderedControl;
elmControl = document.getElementById(sControlID);

// <DIV>
elmDiv = document.createElement("div");
elmDiv.style.position = "absolute";
elmDiv.style.left = "0px";
elmDiv.style.width = "100%";
elmDiv.style.height = "100%";
elmDiv.style.overflow = "hidden";
elmControl.appendChild(elmDiv);

for (var nItem = 0; nItem < this.itemCount; nItem++)
{
var sItemName = sControlID + nItem.toString();

var elmP = document.createElement("p");
elmP.id = sItemName;
elmP.style.position = "relative";
elmP.style.top = "0px";
elmP.style.width = "100%";
elmP.className = this.itemNormalClassName;
elmDiv.appendChild(elmP);

var elmA = document.createElement("a");
elmA.className = this.itemNormalClassName;
elmA.href = this.itemsLink[nItem];
elmP.appendChild(elmA);

var tn = document.createTextNode(this.itemsText[nItem]);
elmA.appendChild(tn);

}
}

function NewsScroller_ScrollNews()
{
var ns = window.NewsScrollerInstance;
var sControlName = ns.renderedControl;
if (sControlName.length == 0)
{
window.alert ("Do not call ScrollNews directly. Use the Start method of
the NewsScroller object.");
return;
}
var elmControl = document.getElementById(sControlName);
if (new Date() >= elmControl.ResumeDateTime)
{
// see whether any item is about to reach the top,
var cyOffset = 0;
for (var nItem = 0; nItem < ns.itemCount; nItem++)
{
var sItemName = sControlName + nItem.toString();
var elmItem = document.getElementById(sItemName);
if ((elmItem.offsetTop > 0) && ((elmItem.offsetTop - ns.scrollStep) <=
0))
{
// the top of this item has reached the top of the control,
// so pause scrolling for the whole control
var dtNow = new Date();
var dtResume = new Date(dtNow.getFullYear(), dtNow.getMonth(),
dtNow.getDate(), dtNow.getHours(), dtNow.getMinutes(), dtNow.getSeconds(),
ns.scrollPause);
elmControl.ResumeDateTime = dtResume;
cyOffset = elmItem.offsetTop;
}
}
if (cyOffset > 0)
{
// control is just now paused, so scroll all items up
// in order to put the top item flush with the top of the control
for (var nItem = 0; nItem < ns.itemCount; nItem++)
{
var sItemName = sControlName + nItem.toString();
var elmItem = document.getElementById(sItemName);
elmItem.style.pixelTop = elmItem.style.pixelTop - cyOffset;
}
}
else
{
// the control is not paused, so scroll every item up by one step
for (var nItem = 0; nItem < ns.itemCount; nItem++)
{
var sItemName = sControlName + nItem.toString();
var elmItem = document.getElementById(sItemName);
elmItem.style.pixelTop -= ns.scrollStep;

}
}
// see whether any items have scrolled off the top
for (var nItem = 0; nItem < ns.itemCount; nItem++)
{
var sItemName = sControlName + nItem.toString();
var elmItem = document.getElementById(sItemName);
if ((elmItem.offsetTop + elmItem.offsetHeight) <= 0)
{
// the bottom of this item has scrolled beyond the top of the control,
// so move it to the bottom of the control
if (ns.itemCount > 1)
{
var sBottomItemName;
if (nItem == 0)
sBottomItemName = sControlName + (ns.itemCount - 1).toString();
else
sBottomItemName = sControlName + (nItem - 1).toString();
var elmBottomItem = document.getElementById(sBottomItemName);
elmItem.style.pixelTop = (elmBottomItem.offsetTop +
elmBottomItem.offsetHeight + ns.cySeparator) - (elmItem.offsetTop -
elmItem.style.pixelTop);
}
else
{
elmItem.style.pixelTop = elmItem.parentElement.offsetHeight;
}
}
}
}
}

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,

verci wrote:
> Hi guys, sorry if this seems stupid but I'm a newbie, I'm running Windows XP
> Pro SP2, IE 7, VS2005, ASP.net 2.0
>
> The problem is that I'm trying to display this news scroller made in a
> Javascript file(newsscroller.js) in my ASP page, everything works great in a
> normal HTML page, I can see the scroller just fine, but in an ASP page it
> just does not show, I get some error message that the control has not been
> initialize, so far I've been stuck for 2 days and just about given up on
> this and just use a plain HTML page for this script, can anyone help me find
> out what's wrong? Below you will find my ASP page and the java script file.
>
> Regards

I didn't read the HUGE amount of code you provided (a link to a URL
where the problem can be seen would have been wiser). However, if it
works fine in HTML but not in the ASP.NET page, it often has to do with
the DOCTYPE. According to the DOCTYPE, the browser will parse and
interprete the document differently.

Try to change this line:

into

and tell us if it works better.

Greetings,
Laurent
--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

verci

Hi

It still does not work, i get a blank page and at the status bar appears an
icon with the text Finish with errors, the error message :

Line: 26
char: 12
error: scrollerMain is undefined
code 0

So I assumed it's an error on the javascript file?, but as I commented
earlier in a plain HTML page works fine.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...