Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > dotNet - Newbie Queries: Which Version to use?

dotNet - Newbie Queries: Which Version to use?

Mark Rae

"Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I understand that .NET has few frameworks:
>
> 1.1
> 2.0
> 3.0
>
> Which one should we use for our web application?

2.0

v3.0 is very badly named - it's not a new version of the Framework, but
rather the addition of four core pieces of technology...

> Also, we have a few developers in the house, one is more familair in C#,
> another is proficient in VB,
>
> can these 2 lang co-exists in one asp.net web application?

Yes, but not easily - this has been discussed to length:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...ame+project%22

Mark Rae

"Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> In a ASP.net Application, how does Microsoft Content Management Server
> comes into the picture?

I'm not sure what you're asking here...

As an aside, CMS is pretty much defunct now anyway:
http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/default.mspx

Bruno Alexandre

dont forget that .NET 3.5 in on the way

just to mix things a little bit

--

Bruno Alexandre
Stroby, Danmark

"a Portuguese in Denmark"

"Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I understand that .NET has few frameworks:
>
> 1.1
> 2.0
> 3.0
>
> Which one should we use for our web application?
>
> Also, we have a few developers in the house, one is more familair in C#,
> another is proficient in VB,
>
> can these 2 lang co-exists in one asp.net web application?
>
> Pls advise.
>
> Thanks

> http://www.usenet.com

Eric Layman

Hi,

I understand that .NET has few frameworks:

1.1
2.0
3.0

Which one should we use for our web application?

Also, we have a few developers in the house, one is more familair in C#,
another is proficient in VB,

can these 2 lang co-exists in one asp.net web application?

Pls advise.

Thanks

http://www.usenet.com

Eric Layman

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

In a ASP.net Application, how does Microsoft Content Management Server comes
into the picture?

Thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I understand that .NET has few frameworks:
>>
>> 1.1
>> 2.0
>> 3.0
>>
>> Which one should we use for our web application?

> 2.0
>
> v3.0 is very badly named - it's not a new version of the Framework, but
> rather the addition of four core pieces of technology...
>
>> Also, we have a few developers in the house, one is more familair in C#,
>> another is proficient in VB,
>>
>> can these 2 lang co-exists in one asp.net web application?

> Yes, but not easily - this has been discussed to length:
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...ame+project%22

http://www.usenet.com

Thomas Hansen

On Feb 15, 7:11 am, "Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no spam]gmail.com>
wrote:
[snip]
To make a long story VERY short!
Use ASP.NET 2.0
Use C#
!!

..t

--
http://ajaxwidgets.com
Free ASP.NET Ajax Widgets NOW!

sloan

Eric,

I would recommend C# 2.0.

3.0 is an "add on" to 2.0, thus you can always update to it.

If you go C# first, you'll avoid some issues where vb.net has left things in
a way to help out those coming up from vb6.
I look at it, as "they enable you to bring your bad vb6 habits with you".

I was a vb6 coder, with some bad habits too. So I"m talking to myself here.

http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/

Being proficient at VB6 is NOT a reason to go with vb.net.