Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > OT: Crossword Puzzle Creator - .NET Source

Reply
Thread Tools

OT: Crossword Puzzle Creator - .NET Source

 
 
Bob Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2007
I'm looking to create a small Windows Forms (2.0) application that enables
the user to create basic crossword puzzles that are printable (ideally
..PDF). I just spent a bunch of time with Google and it seems that there are
a lot of apps for sale (no source), a lot of shareware Java applets - some
with source code - but nothing in .NET. At least I failed to locate any .NET
source for this sort of thing.

I'd sure appreciate any pointers for getting a .NET crossword puzzle creator
(preferably C#).

Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IE1jTmFi?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
Hmmmm. Interesting project. Here's an easy approach to use:

-Use a regular Windows.Forms.Form control for the app.

-Smother the form with textboxes which are square in shape to make the
letter squares.

-Customise the border style of the textbox to suit the desired aesthetics.

-Create one textbox to start with. Once it's the size you want, copy and
paste it all over the form to create the crossword grid

-Set the tab stop property to false on them all

-Create and event handler for the textbox Click event (i.e. textBox1.Click
+= new EventHandler(TextBoxClick)). The purpose of the event is so that when
the user is running the app, click the text boxes will make them dissapear to
get rid of unwanted squares in the desired puzzle.

-Only create one event handler function for all the text boxes and use the
"sender" parameter to address the textbox that fired the event. Inside the
event write a simple function that toggles the visibility of the text box

-For putting the little numbers in the boxes, I would reccomend laying label
controls over the top of each text box. Make the font really tiny. You can
acheive the smallest fonts by editing the generator code in the
Form1.Designer.cs file as I think the smallest selectible font in the .Net
Environment is 6.

-Create a context menu and bind it to all the textboxes. The context menu
should have an option to add the number label to that box. Use a dialog box
form or something similar to enter the number that goes there

-Once the GUI for the app is done. That's the easy part =/. If you want PDF
output, you'll have to use the rendering method of the form and/or each
control on the form. Create a memory bitmap and parse it as the parameter for
the Object.DrawtoBitmap() method (don't quote me on the method name but it's
something like that).

-Using some library (not sure if one ships with .Net) to print the memory
bitmap to the Adobe Distiller. It is essential that it prints to an Adobe
Distiller as there is no way on this earth that you'll want to write your own
PDF renderer unless you have a few months spare to get the info you need and
sit down and nut it out. There could be a custom control that someone has
made which will create PDFs for you. Generally the creation of PDFs is only
done my licensed Adobe Products as I think the file format is protected by
law.

If you aren't too crash hot with programming event handlers in .Net and
messing around with the code side of controls, this will be a tough app for
you to make. Like I said, interesting project ). Good luck.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RobinS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
Why not use a DataGridView? Seems like that would be easier than getting
all those textboxes to line up.

Robin S.
Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Andrew McNab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmmm. Interesting project. Here's an easy approach to use:
>
> -Use a regular Windows.Forms.Form control for the app.
>
> -Smother the form with textboxes which are square in shape to make the
> letter squares.
>
> -Customise the border style of the textbox to suit the desired
> aesthetics.
>
> -Create one textbox to start with. Once it's the size you want, copy and
> paste it all over the form to create the crossword grid
>
> -Set the tab stop property to false on them all
>
> -Create and event handler for the textbox Click event (i.e.
> textBox1.Click
> += new EventHandler(TextBoxClick)). The purpose of the event is so that
> when
> the user is running the app, click the text boxes will make them
> dissapear to
> get rid of unwanted squares in the desired puzzle.
>
> -Only create one event handler function for all the text boxes and use
> the
> "sender" parameter to address the textbox that fired the event. Inside
> the
> event write a simple function that toggles the visibility of the text box
>
> -For putting the little numbers in the boxes, I would reccomend laying
> label
> controls over the top of each text box. Make the font really tiny. You
> can
> acheive the smallest fonts by editing the generator code in the
> Form1.Designer.cs file as I think the smallest selectible font in the
> .Net
> Environment is 6.
>
> -Create a context menu and bind it to all the textboxes. The context menu
> should have an option to add the number label to that box. Use a dialog
> box
> form or something similar to enter the number that goes there
>
> -Once the GUI for the app is done. That's the easy part =/. If you want
> PDF
> output, you'll have to use the rendering method of the form and/or each
> control on the form. Create a memory bitmap and parse it as the parameter
> for
> the Object.DrawtoBitmap() method (don't quote me on the method name but
> it's
> something like that).
>
> -Using some library (not sure if one ships with .Net) to print the memory
> bitmap to the Adobe Distiller. It is essential that it prints to an Adobe
> Distiller as there is no way on this earth that you'll want to write your
> own
> PDF renderer unless you have a few months spare to get the info you need
> and
> sit down and nut it out. There could be a custom control that someone has
> made which will create PDFs for you. Generally the creation of PDFs is
> only
> done my licensed Adobe Products as I think the file format is protected
> by
> law.
>
> If you aren't too crash hot with programming event handlers in .Net and
> messing around with the code side of controls, this will be a tough app
> for
> you to make. Like I said, interesting project ). Good luck.



 
Reply With Quote
 
clintonG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
Dudes you are all so asleep man

The latest way to build a UI for a Windows application would draw the
vectored UI in Microsoft Blend that emits XAML supporting the Windows
Presentation Foundation. This kind of app is just begging to be done as a 3D
Windows application ainna?

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-...8&z=17&l=0&m=h




"RobinS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why not use a DataGridView? Seems like that would be easier than getting
> all those textboxes to line up.
>
> Robin S.
> Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> "Andrew McNab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmmm. Interesting project. Here's an easy approach to use:
>>
>> -Use a regular Windows.Forms.Form control for the app.
>>
>> -Smother the form with textboxes which are square in shape to make the
>> letter squares.
>>
>> -Customise the border style of the textbox to suit the desired
>> aesthetics.
>>
>> -Create one textbox to start with. Once it's the size you want, copy and
>> paste it all over the form to create the crossword grid
>>
>> -Set the tab stop property to false on them all
>>
>> -Create and event handler for the textbox Click event (i.e.
>> textBox1.Click
>> += new EventHandler(TextBoxClick)). The purpose of the event is so that
>> when
>> the user is running the app, click the text boxes will make them
>> dissapear to
>> get rid of unwanted squares in the desired puzzle.
>>
>> -Only create one event handler function for all the text boxes and use
>> the
>> "sender" parameter to address the textbox that fired the event. Inside
>> the
>> event write a simple function that toggles the visibility of the text box
>>
>> -For putting the little numbers in the boxes, I would reccomend laying
>> label
>> controls over the top of each text box. Make the font really tiny. You
>> can
>> acheive the smallest fonts by editing the generator code in the
>> Form1.Designer.cs file as I think the smallest selectible font in the
>> .Net
>> Environment is 6.
>>
>> -Create a context menu and bind it to all the textboxes. The context menu
>> should have an option to add the number label to that box. Use a dialog
>> box
>> form or something similar to enter the number that goes there
>>
>> -Once the GUI for the app is done. That's the easy part =/. If you want
>> PDF
>> output, you'll have to use the rendering method of the form and/or each
>> control on the form. Create a memory bitmap and parse it as the parameter
>> for
>> the Object.DrawtoBitmap() method (don't quote me on the method name but
>> it's
>> something like that).
>>
>> -Using some library (not sure if one ships with .Net) to print the memory
>> bitmap to the Adobe Distiller. It is essential that it prints to an Adobe
>> Distiller as there is no way on this earth that you'll want to write your
>> own
>> PDF renderer unless you have a few months spare to get the info you need
>> and
>> sit down and nut it out. There could be a custom control that someone has
>> made which will create PDFs for you. Generally the creation of PDFs is
>> only
>> done my licensed Adobe Products as I think the file format is protected
>> by
>> law.
>>
>> If you aren't too crash hot with programming event handlers in .Net and
>> messing around with the code side of controls, this will be a tough app
>> for
>> you to make. Like I said, interesting project ). Good luck.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
RE:

<< Dudes you are all so asleep man >>

You are so right man! The whole point of my OP was so that I could get
something that was *already done*

Spending a few minutes with google produces many hits for Java applets with
source etc. I was hoping for the same but for .NET (C# preferably).

-Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
clintonG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
Its these fun sounding projects that would be really challenging that keeps
people fired up. Hope you find something...

<%= Clinton



"Bob Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RE:
>
> << Dudes you are all so asleep man >>
>
> You are so right man! The whole point of my OP was so that I could get
> something that was *already done*
>
> Spending a few minutes with google produces many hits for Java applets
> with source etc. I was hoping for the same but for .NET (C# preferably).
>
> -Bob
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Colour recovery [Was: Regex and more! [Was: Crossword puzzle]] Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. Digital Photography 4 11-11-2009 05:15 PM
[ANN:] IORCC Crossword Puzzle Tips and Hints! iorcc@yahoo.com Ruby 1 03-24-2005 09:33 AM
A puzzle to puzzle you sk A+ Certification 1 07-17-2004 05:19 PM
Unable to download crossword puzzle from newspaper nettie Computer Support 56 02-20-2004 03:34 AM
Asymptopia Crossword Builder (Open Source) Asymptopia Javascript 6 11-21-2003 05:15 AM



Advertisments