Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > my ISP said that my asp.net 2.0 app causes their application pool to crash

my ISP said that my asp.net 2.0 app causes their application pool to crash

Nalaka

Hi,
Can you tell me what type a things in asp.net code can crash... "application
pool".

Any example would do....
I was under imresiion that code cannot crash the app pool.

Any direction is deeply appreciated
Nalaka

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya0F1cml0?=

If they are running both 1.1 and 2.0 apps in the same app pool, IIS either
stops the site or hangs (depending on how they configure their apps; in
either case its bad).
2.0 needs a seperate app pool (not per 2.0 app, just one for 1.1 and one for
2.0)

"Nalaka" wrote:

> Hi,
> Can you tell me what type a things in asp.net code can crash... "application
> pool".
>
> Any example would do....
> I was under imresiion that code cannot crash the app pool.
>

> Any direction is deeply appreciated
> Nalaka

John Timney \(MVP\)

An unhandled application exception could crash an app pool, as could a
deadlock, as could a process consuming excessive memory or a threaded app
not written well, making network calls, access violations, infinite loops.
To be truthful theres a million reasons why an app pool might hang up.

Any app pool crash through would see the app pool recycle and restart
itself - its not the end of the world in a laod balanced farm but on shared
hosting could be rather problematic if the ISP have too many web apps
sharing the same app pool. Ask your ISP to dedicate an app pool to you
until you get it sorted out, then only you suffer if it crashes and look at
using some sort of memory profiling tool, or test tool like nunit to find
out what the problem is.

Worth having aread of this
http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/arc...ool_Crash.aspx

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

"Nalaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Can you tell me what type a things in asp.net code can crash...
> "application pool".
>
> Any example would do....
> I was under imresiion that code cannot crash the app pool.
>

> Any direction is deeply appreciated
> Nalaka

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Nalaka,

For IIS6 with application pool setting. IIS applications(include ASP.NET)
which use the same application pool will be hosted in the same IIS worker
process(w3wp.exe). So if you want to confirm whether it is your application
that crash the application pool(worker process), you can ask your ISP to
host your application in a separate application pool(stand alone) to see
whether the app pool(worker process) will crash.

Also, as John has mentioned, unhandled exception(.net 2.0) will cause
process crash. And application pool has certain health monitring setting
that will control the recycle of worker process(when exceed the limitation)

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead