Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > JavaScript guidelines published

JavaScript guidelines published

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi group,

In agreement with the head of our R&D department, I published my firm's
JavaScript Coding Guidelines. I work for Siemens Building Technologies.
We developed these guidelines for a web application project in 2004,
based on our C# guidelines.

http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjavascri...Guidelines.pdf

Please note the following:

* The purpose of publishing this document on the World Wide Web is to
promote and encourage consistent practices in the JavaScript programming
community.

* We publish this document as information only. Siemens will not accept
any responsibility regarding its content.

* The guidelines are recommendations based on our experience, and may or
may not make sense in the context of a different company, or a different
project. Their intent is to be a source of inspiration for other
JavaScript developers, and nothing more.

* The guidelines are dated 20th of April 2004, which is quite some time
ago. I think that most of the recommendations are still valid, but of
course additions can be made.

HTH,
Laurent
--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

Thomas Hansen

On Feb 5, 8:44 pm, "Laurent Bugnion [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
[snip]
Have you tried prototype.js...??
I personally think that's the most awesome "guideline" a man can
possible get!
Created by a "God" for humans...!!

..t

--
http://ajaxwidgets.com
Free ASP.NET Ajax Widgets NOW!

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,

Thomas Hansen wrote:
> On Feb 5, 8:44 pm, "Laurent Bugnion [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> [snip]
> Have you tried prototype.js...??

You got to be kidding, surely.

Greetings,
Laurent

--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,

I guess this needs a slightly more detailed reply.

I took a look at prototype.js when it came out. While the idea is good
(and some of the effects are actually nice), the library grew in an
uncontrolled way. It has not been designed, it uses bad practices and is
very badly documented.

I am also quite active on the newsgroup comp.lang.javascript, where many
JavaScript experts also write, and reading their comments about this
library, added to my own experiences, is making me want to keep my
fingers off prototype.js.

There are other, better libraries out there, like the Yahoo UI library
or other less well known ones, which I would probably use if I didn't
know how to write the code myself (and didn't have fun doing it).

Voila
Laurent

--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

Mark Rae

"Laurent Bugnion [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Have you tried prototype.js...??

> You got to be kidding, surely.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he isn't...

clintonG

Thank you Laurent...
I've already learned a lot from the Siemens C# guidelines.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-...8&z=17&l=0&m=h