Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Newbie question: Can I do this with ASPX?

Newbie question: Can I do this with ASPX?

ckkwan@my-deja.com

I am using C#, and woud like to know if it is possible for me to write
Client-Side code with C#?

Can't really find any good examples in the web, all are using
javascript only.

What I need to do is very simple, at the client side, connect to an
application in the server, retrieve some info and update a html
control without refreshing the whole page.

I can do that with Java Applet, but can't figure out how to do this
with ASPX

TIA.

Eliyahu Goldin

C# is server-side only language. On client side you have javascript.

Ajax technology provides what you need.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am using C#, and woud like to know if it is possible for me to write
> Client-Side code with C#?
>
> Can't really find any good examples in the web, all are using
> javascript only.
>
> What I need to do is very simple, at the client side, connect to an
> application in the server, retrieve some info and update a html
> control without refreshing the whole page.
>
> I can do that with Java Applet, but can't figure out how to do this
> with ASPX
>
> TIA.

Kevin Spencer

What you need is Ajax. See http://ajax.asp.net/

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Software Composer
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

The shortest distance between 2 points is a curve.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am using C#, and woud like to know if it is possible for me to write
> Client-Side code with C#?
>
> Can't really find any good examples in the web, all are using
> javascript only.
>
> What I need to do is very simple, at the client side, connect to an
> application in the server, retrieve some info and update a html
> control without refreshing the whole page.
>
> I can do that with Java Applet, but can't figure out how to do this
> with ASPX
>
> TIA.

Mark Rae

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What you need is Ajax. See http://ajax.asp.net/

Or even this: http://anthemdotnet.com/ which makes it even easier...

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,

Eliyahu Goldin wrote:
> C# is server-side only language. On client side you have javascript.

That's not true anymore WPF is client-side, and you can definitely
program XBAPs in C#.

And in May, we should get WPF/E, where it's going to be possible to run
controls written in XAML/C# (and also JavaScript) integrated in a
webpage on the client.

> Ajax technology provides what you need.

That's probably true

Greetings,
Laurent
--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,

> I am using C#, and woud like to know if it is possible for me to write
> Client-Side code with C#?
>
> Can't really find any good examples in the web, all are using
> javascript only.
>
> What I need to do is very simple, at the client side, connect to an
> application in the server, retrieve some info and update a html
> control without refreshing the whole page.
>
> I can do that with Java Applet, but can't figure out how to do this
> with ASPX
>
> TIA.

You may want to take a look at Nikhil Kothari's Script#. Caveat: I never
used it (I prefer to write my scripts myself), so I cannot tell you if
it's really good, but it looks promising for people who don't know
JavaScript.
http://www.nikhilk.net/ScriptSharpIntro.aspx

Greetings,
Laurent