Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Securing XML files

Securing XML files

Chris

I want to have a folder with XML files that I don't want to be publically
accessible but I want my application to be able to read. My initial thoughts
are to stick the files outside the web tree but IIS 6 doesn't allow allow
parent path with server mappath. I don't want to enable it but I don't want
semi-hardcoded paths either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Juan T. Llibre

Place them in the App_Data directory.
If you don't have one, create it and modify your path to the files accordingly.

Direct requests for your XML files will be refused if they're in that directory,
although they will still be accessible by your application.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espaol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%23j7svb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to have a folder with XML files that I don't want to be publically accessible but I want my
>application to be able to read. My initial thoughts are to stick the files outside the web tree but
>IIS 6 doesn't allow allow parent path with server mappath. I don't want to enable it but I don't
>want semi-hardcoded paths either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bruce barker

put them in the app_data folder. it was designed for this.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)