Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > DropDownList| SqlDataSource | and Parameters??~

DropDownList| SqlDataSource | and Parameters??~

Brad Isaacs

Good evening friends,

I have added a Drop Down List box control to my web form. I am using the
web.config connection string to access my SQL Server 2000 db. Inside that
db I have a table named Provinces.

The table contains 3 fields :

LanguageID
ProvinceID
Province

I have also added a SqlDataSource object and configured it to retrieve
Provinces based on my parameter named @languageID

<aspropDownList ID="ddlProvince" runat="server"
DataSourceID="ProvSqlDataSource"

DataTextField="province" DataValueField="province" Width="196px">

</aspropDownList></td>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="ProvSqlDataSource" runat="server"
CacheExpirationPolicy="Sliding"

ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:MyConnectionString %>"

SelectCommand="SELECT DISTINCT [province] FROM [provinces] WHERE
([languageID] = @languageID ) ORDER BY [province]">

</asp:SqlDataSource>

My problem is how I may gain access to the @languageID parameter. I feel
kinda stoopid, as this may be an easy solution.

It has to change either "1" for English and "2" for French,,,

Depending on the language chosen for the web form page. So I use this code
to retrieve the language chosen by the user.

<%

Dim languageSuffix, altlang, lang As String

Dim langID As Int32

lang = Request.QueryString("lang")

If Request.QueryString("lang") = "" Then

lang = "en"

End If

'Response.Write("<br />The Lang is--> " & lang)

If (lang = "fr") Then

langID = 2

altlang = "fr"

Else ' lang = "en"

langID = 1

altlang = "en"

End If

Response.Write(("<br />The LangID is--> " & langID))

%>

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to gain access to the
@languageID and add 1 if English or 2 if French.

Any ideas, code examples or urls would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

~Brad

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gVmVybWlsbGlvbg==?=

Brad,

You can manually update your parameters and select the data through code via:

Me.ProvSqlDataSource.SelectParameters("languageID" ).DefaultValue = langID
Me.ProvSqlDataSource.Select(DataSourceSelectArgume nts.Empty)

Also, try handling the querystring logic in your page_load event.

See the code below.

Hope this helps,
Jason Vermillion

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="ProvSqlDataSource" runat="server"
SelectCommand="SELECT DISTINCT [province] FROM [provinces] WHERE
([languageID] = @languageID ) ORDER BY [province]">
<SelectParameters>
<asparameter Name="languageID" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>

Then in your page_load...

Handles Me.Load
Dim altlang As String
Dim lang As String

Dim langID As Int32

lang = Request.QueryString("lang")
If Request.QueryString("lang") = "" Then
lang = "en"
End If

'Response.Write("<br />The Lang is--> " & lang)
If (lang = "fr") Then
langID = 2
altlang = "fr"
Else ' lang = "en"
langID = 1
altlang = "en"
End If

Me.ProvSqlDataSource.SelectParameters("languageID" ).DefaultValue = langID
Me.ProvSqlDataSource.Select(DataSourceSelectArgume nts.Empty)
End Sub

"Brad Isaacs" wrote:

> Good evening friends,
>
> I have added a Drop Down List box control to my web form. I am using the
> web.config connection string to access my SQL Server 2000 db. Inside that
> db I have a table named Provinces.
>
> The table contains 3 fields :
>
> LanguageID
> ProvinceID
> Province
>
> I have also added a SqlDataSource object and configured it to retrieve
> Provinces based on my parameter named @languageID
>
> <aspropDownList ID="ddlProvince" runat="server"
> DataSourceID="ProvSqlDataSource"
>
> DataTextField="province" DataValueField="province" Width="196px">
>
> </aspropDownList></td>
>

> <asp:SqlDataSource ID="ProvSqlDataSource" runat="server"
> CacheExpirationPolicy="Sliding"
>
> ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:MyConnectionString %>"
>
> SelectCommand="SELECT DISTINCT [province] FROM [provinces] WHERE
> ([languageID] = @languageID ) ORDER BY [province]">
>
> </asp:SqlDataSource>
>

> My problem is how I may gain access to the @languageID parameter. I feel
> kinda stoopid, as this may be an easy solution.
>
> It has to change either "1" for English and "2" for French,,,
>
> Depending on the language chosen for the web form page. So I use this code
> to retrieve the language chosen by the user.
>

> <%
>

> Dim languageSuffix, altlang, lang As String
>
> Dim langID As Int32
>

> lang = Request.QueryString("lang")
>

> If Request.QueryString("lang") = "" Then
>
> lang = "en"
>
> End If
>
> 'Response.Write("<br />The Lang is--> " & lang)
>

> If (lang = "fr") Then
>
> langID = 2
>
> altlang = "fr"
>
> Else ' lang = "en"
>
> langID = 1
>
> altlang = "en"
>
> End If
>

> Response.Write(("<br />The LangID is--> " & langID))
>

> %>
>
> But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to gain access to the
> @languageID and add 1 if English or 2 if French.
>

> Any ideas, code examples or urls would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> ~Brad

Brad Isaacs

Jason,

Thanks for your input.

I was able to use the QueryString parameter. My problem was that I was not
sending the langID=1 or langID=2 when the user had chosen a language for the
page. I needed to PASS the value. Once I passed the value, all I had to do
was add the QueryString parameter and it all worked.

Thanks again for your input.

~Brad

"Jason Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...