Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > QUERY: Client-side DataGrid for faster fluid feel?

QUERY: Client-side DataGrid for faster fluid feel?

dhruba.bandopadhyay

Is it possible to make some of the DataGrid functionality to
client-side? Such as the Edit, Update, Cancel, Delete functionality?
Everytime I click on a row's Edit button, I wait 2 seconds before I see
the Edit controls (eg. textboxes, drop-down combos, checkboxes). I
understand that the DataGrid's Edit, Cancel, Update, Delete functions
are server-side because it uses ASP.NET postback handler functions.

What I like is these Edit, Cancel, Update, Delete functions being on
client-side, but uses AJAX requests in background. This would make the
user feel fluid editing (opposed to the 2 seconds delay for each
DataGrid button pressed).

Is this possible with the standard DataGrid? Or can the DataGrid be
overrided so that the Edit, Cancel, Update, Delete functions operate on
client-side, and sends the actual Update/Delete command using AJAX? This
is so much faster and better than the current slow DataGrid.

If one has to code all this functionality manually, how would one go
about it?

If I don't see much prospect of the DataGrid, I'll eventually abandon
ASP.NET with GWT.

--
dhruba.bandopadhyay