Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Home Exchange 2003 setup

Home Exchange 2003 setup

catwalker63

JaR piffled away vaguely:

> "catwalker63" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> CyberEngine piffled away vaguely:
>>
>>> JaR thank you for your unhelpful reply
>>>
>>> "JaR" wrote:
>>>

>> His answer is in keeping with your incomplete setup and confused
>> question.
>>

> You have more patience than I, CW.

Nah, I was just bored. Wanted to see if I could work my way through it.
--

Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

Wayne

"CyberEngine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes I am sure it is static for 3 months and I have Lynksis router only
> that
> uses NAT. On that router I have port 80 open for hosting my website and
> port
> 25 that forwards SMTP traffic. Default Virtual SMTP server is set to my
> private static IP as that the only option I get. Could this mess things
> up?

<snip>
Try http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF002.html , I know its about
Exchange 2000, but the concepts are the same. Also, try typing this into
Google (minus the quotes) "setup exchange 2003 dynamic ip
site:msexchange.org" and follow some of the links.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver
MCP NT4 Wkstn

Kline Sphere

>Also, try typing this into
>Google

the gogol thing, i find it quite plex-ing.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Wayne

"Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Also, try typing this into
>>Google

> the gogol thing, i find it quite plex-ing.
>
> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

old age catching up mate?

Wayne

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=

"CyberEngine" wrote:

> Yes I am sure it is static for 3 months and I have Lynksis router only that
> uses NAT. On that router I have port 80 open for hosting my website and port
> 25 that forwards SMTP traffic. Default Virtual SMTP server is set to my
> private static IP as that the only option I get. Could this mess things up?

Not at all. However, I think we have narrowed down the source of the
problem. First, On your SMTP virtual server, go to Delivery -->Advanced..
-->FQDN. Make sure the FQDN is mailserver.xyz.com (can not use
servername.localdomainname). Second, click on Configure and add your
external DNS servers IP addresses in. Now, this is the most important step
you need to follow. Since you are using NAT, make sure that there is an
entry that transalates your Exchange public IP to your Exchange private IP.
Otherwise, all outside mail servers will not know where is 10.10.*.* (just
for example).

=?Utf-8?B?Q3liZXJFbmdpbmU=?=

Michael, that website was very helpful and I figured out my problem.
Everything was already configured like it says of the site I just had to
point my A(host) record to my ISP public IP. (it was pointing to my private
IP)

I appriciate your help very much

"Michael D. Hensley" wrote:

> "CyberEngine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Michael, I can only telnet within my subnet and engage into SMTP server
> > conversation. I however can not telnet to mailserver.xyz.com 25 from
> > outside.
> > This like you said is either DNS or routing issue, which I am trying to
> > figure out.

> If you can't telnet to port 25 on your server by IP address, it's clearly
> NOT a DNS issue (if you specify the IP address, DNS isn't involved). If
> that's the case, the next step is to figure out where the data is being
> blocked.
>
> I can think of a few things to try:
>
> a) temporarily remove all firewalls/routers that you can between your
> Exchange server and the Internet, and see if you can telnet to port 25 (by
> IP address);
>
> b) physically move the Exchange server to another location (so you are using
> a different Internet connection) and try to telnet to port 25 (by the new IP
> address);
>
> c) put a packet sniffer on your LAN, and see if the telnet-to-port-25
> packets are making it past your Internet router.
>
> Good luck!
>
> (This is probably the wrong newsgroup for this discussion, but what the
> heck -- there's not much else going in here.)

=?Utf-8?B?Q3liZXJFbmdpbmU=?=

I figured out my problem: I had to point my A(host) record to my ISP public
IP. (it was pointing to my private IP) Once that was done I had to wait for
couple of hours for changes to propogate.
Thank you for all your help, it is much appricaited.