Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Home Exchange 2003 setup

Home Exchange 2003 setup

=?Utf-8?B?Q3liZXJFbmdpbmU=?=

Dragon, I understand all about dynamic vs static IP issues, all I need is to
have it working for those 3-4 months and then let it go. My issue is not
about what kind of IP I use, but somewhere in my DNS configuration.

"Dragon Without Wings" wrote:

> "CyberEngine" wrote:
>

> > ************************************************** ********
> > Let me just clarify something, when I say dynamic IP I mean IP provided by
> > my ISP that changes once every 3-4 months which is absolutely fine with me.
> > ************************************************** ********

> No that is not fine and that is where your problem starts. You can send
> email out to outside world because your system doesn't care what IP address
> you have at your router. However if the recepient's spam filter has the DNS
> reverse turned on, your email will be dropped dead right there because your
> registered DNS name doesn't match with the IP address. Outside users can not
> send mail to you (and I believe you can't even receive any mail from the
> outside as well) because your A record doesn't match with the IP at your
> router which is changed time to time. Let's say you mail server is
> mail.server.com and the A record points to this IP 70.120.134.15. If you
> were using a static IP address which should be 70.1120.134.15 at your router,
> then any mail servers can contact your mail server without any problem.
> However as you have said, you are using dynamic IP which you know as well
> will be changed time to time. Then how in the world other mail servers can
> connect to your mail server? You may question that then how come I can send
> email to my internal users? Well, because they are in the same subnet and
> domain. If this explanation is still not clear to you then let me take you
> through another real life example. Let's say you were living in 1234 West
> Drive, Houston, TX. About a month later, you moved to 1036 West Drive,
> Houston, TX. Now there is a packet that sent to you using your old address
> from some one in OH. Would you be able to receive the packet at the new
> address?

JaR

"BD[MCNGP]" <...---...> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You may have covered this, but I wanted to reiterate. Many companies
> nowadays do not even accept email from servers that don't have a Static IP
> Address. Because of the vast amounts of SPAM out there already, people
> have found ways to cut down on it, and one way is to only allow email from
> IPs that are Static. No time to look it up now, but IIRC, it has something
> to do with a code or something in the 'signature' of a static IP address.

Most ISPs use blocklists to filter spam. They list ranges that contain
anything from known spam producing areas of the internet, to ranges that are
known to be used for dynamic IPs and will not relay or accept mail from them
as a good proportion of the SMTP traffic coming out of them is from pwned
machines spewing spam. A lot of mail servers are configured these days to
refuse any mail that resolves to an MX record that does not have a valid
reverse DNS as well.

--
JaR
Suffering Fools Gladly

Michael D. Hensley

"CyberEngine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is my deal: I setup my home domain and registered my own domain name
> which lets say is www.xyz.com Now I am trying to setup my Exchange 2003
> server so I can send and receive emails. I am using a dynamic IP from my
> ISP
> which let say is 68.68.68.60 My home server FQDN is let say
> mailserver.xyz.com My A record is setup as mailserver.xyz.com --->
> 68.68.68.60 and MX is also setup with highest priority. Port 25 is open
> and
> forwards to my mailserver on my router.
>
> My issue is that I can not receive any emails that are being sent to
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) everything bounces back. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried telnet'ing to port 25 on your (current) IP address, both from
inside and from outside your LAN? That should help narrow down whether the
problem is routing or dns.

If you can telnet to port 25 from outside, can you manually engage in an
SMTP conversation with your server (HELO, etc.)?

Kline Sphere

>Most ISPs use blocklists to filter spam. They list ranges that contain
>anything from known spam producing areas of the internet

in other words block everything sent from addresses under the
authority of apnic.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

"Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Most ISPs use blocklists to filter spam. They list ranges that contain
>>anything from known spam producing areas of the internet

> in other words block everything sent from addresses under the
> authority of apnic.

might as well block ripe, arin, lacnic, and internic as well....h3ll with it,
just block anything IANA related, you'll be fine.

--
BD
# 0011 ^ 2

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=

"CyberEngine" wrote:

> Dragon, I understand all about dynamic vs static IP issues, all I need is to
> have it working for those 3-4 months and then let it go. My issue is not
> about what kind of IP I use, but somewhere in my DNS configuration.

OK then. First, are you sure your IP address is staying the same for at
least 3 months? If yes, then do you have any type of firewall between your
Exchange and your interntet router? Port 25 shouldn't be blocked for incoming
traffic. Last but not least, did you configure your Exchange SMTP virtual
server to use the public DNS name mailserver.xyz.com (I should have stated
this earlier)?

JaR

<CertGuard> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kline Sphere" <.@> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >Most ISPs use blocklists to filter spam. They list ranges that contain
>>>anything from known spam producing areas of the internet

>> in other words block everything sent from addresses under the
>> authority of apnic.
>>

> might as well block ripe, arin, lacnic, and internic as well....h3ll with
> it, just block anything IANA related, you'll be fine.
>

> --
> BD
> # 0011 ^ 2

Works for me!

--
JaR
Suffering Fools Gladly

=?Utf-8?B?Q3liZXJFbmdpbmU=?=

Michael, I can only telnet within my subnet and engage into SMTP server
conversation. I however can not telnet to mailserver.xyz.com 25 from outside.
This like you said is either DNS or routing issue, which I am trying to
figure out.
THanks

"Michael D. Hensley" wrote:

> "CyberEngine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Here is my deal: I setup my home domain and registered my own domain name
> > which lets say is www.xyz.com Now I am trying to setup my Exchange 2003
> > server so I can send and receive emails. I am using a dynamic IP from my
> > ISP
> > which let say is 68.68.68.60 My home server FQDN is let say
> > mailserver.xyz.com My A record is setup as mailserver.xyz.com --->
> > 68.68.68.60 and MX is also setup with highest priority. Port 25 is open
> > and
> > forwards to my mailserver on my router.
> >
> > My issue is that I can not receive any emails that are being sent to
> > (E-Mail Removed) everything bounces back. Any help would be appreciated.

> Have you tried telnet'ing to port 25 on your (current) IP address, both from
> inside and from outside your LAN? That should help narrow down whether the
> problem is routing or dns.
>
> If you can telnet to port 25 from outside, can you manually engage in an
> SMTP conversation with your server (HELO, etc.)?

=?Utf-8?B?Q3liZXJFbmdpbmU=?=

Yes I am sure it is static for 3 months and I have Lynksis router only that
uses NAT. On that router I have port 80 open for hosting my website and port
25 that forwards SMTP traffic. Default Virtual SMTP server is set to my
private static IP as that the only option I get. Could this mess things up?

"Dragon Without Wings" wrote:

> "CyberEngine" wrote:
>
> > Dragon, I understand all about dynamic vs static IP issues, all I need is to
> > have it working for those 3-4 months and then let it go. My issue is not
> > about what kind of IP I use, but somewhere in my DNS configuration.

> OK then. First, are you sure your IP address is staying the same for at
> least 3 months? If yes, then do you have any type of firewall between your
> Exchange and your interntet router? Port 25 shouldn't be blocked for incoming
> traffic. Last but not least, did you configure your Exchange SMTP virtual
> server to use the public DNS name mailserver.xyz.com (I should have stated
> this earlier)?

Michael D. Hensley

"CyberEngine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael, I can only telnet within my subnet and engage into SMTP server
> conversation. I however can not telnet to mailserver.xyz.com 25 from
> outside.
> This like you said is either DNS or routing issue, which I am trying to
> figure out.

If you can't telnet to port 25 on your server by IP address, it's clearly
NOT a DNS issue (if you specify the IP address, DNS isn't involved). If
that's the case, the next step is to figure out where the data is being
blocked.

I can think of a few things to try:

a) temporarily remove all firewalls/routers that you can between your
Exchange server and the Internet, and see if you can telnet to port 25 (by
IP address);

b) physically move the Exchange server to another location (so you are using
a different Internet connection) and try to telnet to port 25 (by the new IP
address);

c) put a packet sniffer on your LAN, and see if the telnet-to-port-25
packets are making it past your Internet router.

Good luck!

(This is probably the wrong newsgroup for this discussion, but what the
heck -- there's not much else going in here.)