Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > another virtual directory not being configured as an application error

another virtual directory not being configured as an application error

Adam Sandler

Hello,

I've looked at:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...da0141a6705af6

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c05f9ba6f46875

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5987905375ba80

http://authors.aspalliance.com/PaulW...rticles/?id=16

.... and cannot figure out the solution to my problem. I'm maintaining
a website. I got the source code sent to me as a zip file. I unzipped
the archive and from VWD 2005, I selected open website and then pointed
the file chooser to the unzipped location. I also right clicked on the
unzipped location in IIS, selected properties, clicked the virtual
directory tab, and clicked the Create button.

When I try to run the website from within VWD 2005, I get this error:

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 31: 'InProc or StateServer
Line 32: -->
Line 33: <sessionState mode="StateServer"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data
source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false"
timeout="20" />
Line 34:
Line 35: <pages>

Hmmm... does not clicking the Create button from within IIS configure
the directory as an application?

I also manually started the ASP.NET State service ahead of time and I
still get this error.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!