Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Configure Cisco SOHO 91 router

Configure Cisco SOHO 91 router

xstanley007@yahoo.com

Hi! I can configure my SOHO 91 router through web interface, but now
I'm trying to configure it throught telnet, just because the web
interface is too slow! I really need the commands that will configure
the router to use "Straight Routing (no PPP termination), fixed
(static) IP address" and to configure the WAN Interface IP Address,
Subnet Mask, Preminary DNS, Sencondary DNS, Domain Name, and Gateway
IP, just as the web interface. Thanks!

markrohlf

Forgive me if I am mis-understanding.

But when you say "Straight Routing and no PPP in the same sentence, you
confuse me.

Routing happens at layer 3 and PPP at layer 2.

You have to have some sort of layer 2 encap. Are you wanting HDLC ...
Cisco's default?

What type of a WAN connection is it?

mr

xstanley007@yahoo.com

I'm not so good in network, so I don't really understand what you mean,
like "3 and PPP at layer 2". My internet connection is that a Bridge
connect to my Cisco SOHO 91's Internet port (E1), and I have to
conifgure the E1 port to have a Static IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway IP, and
DNS server. Hope you understand me!!

markrohlf

Well ... I've never configured a SOHO 91 ... but if this device uses an
IOS similar to the larger access level routers like the 2600 series ...
then you would do the following

Router>en
Router#conf t
Router(config)#int (lan interface number) (for example e0 or f0/0)
Router(config-if)#ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0 (or whatever your
mask is)
Router(config-if)#no shut

then you would do the same with the WAN interface.

hope this helps.
mr

xstanley007@yahoo.com

Thanks for that! And how to set the Primary and Secondary DNS, and
Gateway? Thanks again!

markrohlf

why are you setting a dns and gateway?

what does the topology look like?

mr

xstanley007@yahoo.com

A wireless client bridge connect to my router's Internect port (e1),
and then all the PCs connect to the router's Local port (e0). Is that
information enought?

markrohlf

can you make a default route to go out the internet port?

then set your SOHO's e0 as the workstation's gateway.

just a thought

mr