Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Web based document editing

Web based document editing

Jack

We've got an asp.net app (2.0). We want to allow users to click a button
that will launch a file of any type (namely word, excel, etc). Users can
edit the file, save / close it, and viola! The new version is then
available on the web site.

I know how to do this via download / save / upload / etc, but the business
requirements are that it be seamless to the end user. If you've edited
documents in sharepoint, we basically want it to work like that.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tim Mackey

hi Jack,
i've seen some enterprise CMS systems that achieve this by getting the user
to add a network location, to connect their workstation to the fileserver (i
think they set this up via ActiveX). then when the user opens the file off
your site, you direct them to opening it via the network location, e.g.
\\yourserver\File5.doc
then the open/save/close thing is seamless because Word treats it like any
other local file. i guess it's just like a VPN then. are you stuck with
HTTP over the Internet or can you deploy a VPN?

my best guess about sharepoint is that they do something similar with web
folders.

hopefully someone else can post more specific details
tim

news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We've got an asp.net app (2.0). We want to allow users to click a button
> that will launch a file of any type (namely word, excel, etc). Users can
> edit the file, save / close it, and viola! The new version is then
> available on the web site.
>
> I know how to do this via download / save / upload / etc, but the business
> requirements are that it be seamless to the end user. If you've edited
> documents in sharepoint, we basically want it to work like that.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Aidy

Look into "webdav"

news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We've got an asp.net app (2.0). We want to allow users to click a button
> that will launch a file of any type (namely word, excel, etc). Users can
> edit the file, save / close it, and viola! The new version is then
> available on the web site.
>
> I know how to do this via download / save / upload / etc, but the business
> requirements are that it be seamless to the end user. If you've edited
> documents in sharepoint, we basically want it to work like that.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Aidy

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ebDAV-IIS.html

news:(E-Mail Removed)...