Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS2005 Find function stopped working - OT mystery

VS2005 Find function stopped working - OT mystery

K B

I'm sorry to post OT here but I was hoping that someone could help me. I
use Visual Studio 2005 and suddenly my Find feature has completely
stopped working. When I select it, the screen flickers briefly...then
nothing. I've tried reinstalling and the Ctrl+scrollbreak recommendation
I found on line. Microsoft knowledgebase has nothing.

Any suggestions...I use this a lot in development.

thanks!
Kit

Paul

It's not just me then - I'm not sure of why it happens but I had the same
thing a few months ago! In the end I resorted to exporting all my Visual
Studio environment settings (using the option under tools menu). I then
reset the environment back to it's original settings (which brought back the
search functionality). I then, selecting one item at a time, re-imported my
settings until I found the one that broke the find window functionality
(sorry, can't remember which one it was). I then reset (again) the
environment to get find functionality back and re-imported the settings that
were ok. Since then everything has been ok.

Hope this helps,

- Paul,

"K B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uq$ZnG%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sorry to post OT here but I was hoping that someone could help me. I
> use Visual Studio 2005 and suddenly my Find feature has completely
> stopped working. When I select it, the screen flickers briefly...then
> nothing. I've tried reinstalling and the Ctrl+scrollbreak recommendation
> I found on line. Microsoft knowledgebase has nothing.
>
> Any suggestions...I use this a lot in development.
>
> thanks!
> Kit

Chuck

I just had the same thing happen. Thank goodness I found your posts, I was squirming thinking I'd have to system restore or reinstall. Something odd I noticed when exported of current settings: I decided to look first in the default folder it was going to export, and there was already a mystery file "CurrentSettings.vssettings", timestamped at about the moment my find function stopped working. I thought I might like to examine that suspicious file later, so I renamed it (to protect it from the upcoming export).

Then the export/reset created 2 files of entirely different names. The export created "Exported-2007-03-21.vssettings". Then the reset dialog asked if it should save current settings before resetting, and created "CurrentSettings-2007-03-21.vssettings"

So the manually dumped filenames contain the current date, and the mystery file with no date is an auto-dumped of settings. Apparently it dumped *after* the settings were hosed (I imported the autodump just to see, and yep the find-function was gone again). Another quick reset and all's well.

The reset-settings fcn saved me a lot of grief. Once I get things back the way I want, I'll have to export & stash away my settings for when it happens again.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Mystery Threads - How do you find out where they come from? Mark Moeykens ASP .Net 2 09-07-2010 06:36 PM
string find mystery Helvin Python 5 09-03-2009 12:17 PM
Intellisense for asp controls stopped working in VS2005 for one site Alan Silver ASP .Net 0 07-05-2006 05:42 PM
ASP VS2005] Mystery Application Drash Andrzej J. Turowicz ASP .Net 0 01-31-2006 08:27 AM
vs2005 b2 prob - CSS just stopped working! =?Utf-8?B?ZGhucml2ZXJzaWRl?= ASP .Net 4 10-30-2005 03:20 PM

Advertisments